Sunday, March 8, 2009

Beware The Spider Rattlers!

Sunday, March 8: Navasota, TX-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Only about a 40 mile drive to Navasota this morning. Someone was broken down not too far out of Sealy, TX; that was about the most exciting thing that happened.
We were on a beautiful lot today; a soccer field with nice, short grass. There were also bathrooms with a sink. Woo hoo!
This was the first lot with absolutely nothing to do within walking distance. No food, no gas stations, no shopping, nothing. I used all my time today before the shows to relax, read, and do some sewing on my prospector pants which acquired a huge rip on one side. Either I'm getting fat or Ryan is a lousy seamstress.
We had a good laugh at Casey's costume today. His wardrobe always looks sharp, but today he had looser fitting lycra pants on that looked totally out of place with his tight jacket. There were big wrinkles in the pants....and it looked like he had a front butt.
The audience was just blah for the first show. It didn't help that we sucked up the shovel gag. It was just a bad gag for us.
Backstage Ryan and I entertained the performers waiting at the back door by staging a fight. It started with Ryan mocking me behind my back while I was reading. I walked over to his chair and kicked it over. This prompted Ryan to knock my chair over. Next I took his wig and threw it over the fence next to the road we were by. Ryan did the same to my wig. Then we realized that we were going to have to get our wigs back. I think it was probably more entertaining watching us try and get over the wire fence than anything we did in the show today.
The second show audience was even smaller and more blah than the first show today. I guess everyone was going to church today...or barn...or whatever they do in these parts.
In the second show I amazed Rae and Ryan with my amazing new sideshow act, which included sticking a plastic hanger up my nose, and then fitting my whole body through a broken hanger. Jim Rose eat your heart out!
We had a rough sink gag in the second show. First the door to the sink hit me in the eyebrow. I panicked when I thought I was cut and kept asking Ryan if I was bleeding.
Next I accidentally clocked Ryan in the bridge of the nose with the wooden handle to the hammer. I dropped character and asked, "Oh my God, are you alright!?" 
I wonder if the audience thought it was all part of the act or not. 
We gave up on the cannon for now after the first show today and went back to using our guns. I was happy.
America's Own Bar and Grill hosted a big BBQ tonight, with several from the show in attendance. I ate way too much and laughed a lot at some great stories.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hard to go up against the Jonas Brothers at the rodeo on Sunday.
They drew 74,000 plus.
P.J.Holmes

Anonymous said...

Why give up on the cannon instead of trying to solve the problem? Several viable suggestions were put forth yesterday so why not experiment?

Steve Copeland said...

Why give up? Because management said to lay off it for now.
The cannon wasn't our idea. The powers that be wanted one, and they got Ryan to make it.
I personally could care less whether there is a cannon in finale or not.
That is why.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys. Worse comes to worse just get a large cardboard tube(that's the cannon. Keep it simple), a bungee cord and a powder sock. I think you know where this is going. Presto !! Viola! Fudging A! Instant cannon. No worries. It will always work. You can even powder each others make up when you're too tired to do it yourself.
Si es muy bueno idea. I've got a dollar down to see that. Think it over. Chat. Chat. Discuss. Debate gentlemen.

Alberto Ramirez Jr.

Alberto Ramirez Jr.

Anonymous said...

Yo, dude, sorry, we were 'blah' for the first show, but Navasota is not a very big town with many people...most people go out of town on the weekends thats why the audience was so small. Even thou I have a deep fear of clowns, I thought y'all's show was pretty darn good. Laters. [Yes.]

Steve Copeland said...

Hey man,

As long as you enjoyed the show, it is all good.

Cilla said...

ah! I know [Yes.] hehe...
she's right...I went to the second show in Navasota and she went to the first.
Yall were good!
You had spirit and you kept going even though the crowd was 'blah'.
you made the little kids laugh!
I loved the sink bit!

I was afraid of yall at first because I had a bad encounter with a clown when I was little, but yall were enjoyable ^^
so yay! haha

I wanted to run away with the circus ^-^

Cilla