Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"HEEEEEEEEEEY!"

Tuesday, March 24: Royse City, TX-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
This morning we had a humdinger of a drive by recent standards: 100 miles. Even though I blew the arrows once, I was soon back on track and had no further problems. My house showed up at the lot not too long after I did, which made me very happy.
We were right by the Interstate on a very uneven lot. There was a lot of wild grass and a fair amount of dirt as well. The day was overcast when we arrived and there were showers every now and then. We all feared the worst, but by 2:00 p.m. the sun was out and shining and the day was beautiful.
Kelly Ballagh, who I worked with on Ringling for 2 years, came to visit today. I haven't seen Kelly since last January, and it is always great to hang out with him. He brought Ryan and I a free roll of Easter candy and Dr. Pepper. Whoo hoo!
Kelly and I went to lunch at Denny's, and then back at the lot Ryan and I unpacked our props while hanging out with Kelly.
Kelly watched our first show, which I was almost late to because I had gotten so far behind while chatting with him. We didn't have a very good crowd for the first show, but they had waken up more by the time the sink gag rolled around.
The ground was pretty rough to run around on. When Ryan did his toothpick fall, he shot off to an angle when his head went in one of the "potholes".
For the second day in a row the generator was parked backwards, making it impossible to hear the show unless you are right backstage. Because of that and a shortened elephant act, Ryan missed finale. I would have missed it too had I been a moment later.
Kelly stuck around until the start of the second show. I had more visitors arrive then. Chrissy Ryan, who wants to be a Ringling clown, and her mom came to see the evening show.
The tent was jam packed; they had people shoved in every conceivable nook and cranny. It was nice having such a big energetic audience after the dismal first show.
Intermission was a mad house; we definitely did good business today. We got Nat to film the sink gag for us since we could tell we would probably get a good reaction from the crowd; luckily we were right!
Tear down was a lot smoother tonight than it was yesterday. We packed up our props into the Alley before taking down the curtain, which got our stuff out of the way of the flyers. It worked out very well.
Chrissy's family took me out to dinner tonight, which was very nice. They are a very fun family, they had me cracking up the whole time.
I got back to the lot just in time to climb aboard my house before they drove it off the lot. I guess they don't want to take any chances of being bogged down in the grass overnight. Last year the show couldn't play here because the concrete lot was flooded when they arrived.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy, love the blog. Can I make a constructive suggestion? Put a space between each paragraph of each post. Right now it all kind of runs together and is hard to read. Thanks and keep it up! Come to Central Texas!