Tuesday, March 31, 2009

He's Making A List, Checking It Twice

Tuesday, March 31: Redfield, AR-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
I woke up this morning when I heard a torrential downpour of rain beating on my metal roof. There was also thunder and lightning; the whole thing did not make me look forward to getting out of bed. Imagine my great relief when I checked my clock and saw that I had another hour before my call time.
When I woke up, the rain had subsided, but shortly after hitting the road it resumed. It definitely slowed our progress on the 125 mile jump. Jan and I had a good conversation about the different shows she has worked on; she told me her favorite clowns were Otto Griebling and Ryan and me.
It rained all the way up until when we got to the lot, and then it stopped. Chris, our 24 Hour Man, told me that it was supposed to clear up and dry off by this afternoon, but I didn't believe him after looking at the overcast sky.
Much to my surprise when I woke up from my morning nap, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky! I wasn't the only one that took a little nap in the sun.

We were on a grass lot, and even though the sun was out, some mud had been stirred up by the show trucks this morning. Luckily it wasn't that bad in the back yard or in the tent.  
This afternoon I went for a walk around the city park where we were performing before Ryan and I unloaded our props.
We gave the sink a good cleaning; it got pretty dirty yesterday from the dirt on the rocky lot.
I wasn't expecting big crowds today since they didn't bring all the seat wagons into the tent. The first show was indeed sparse, but the crowd was having a good time.
I met a blog reader during Intermission, Joanne, and her son, Billy. See, I did write about you!
The second show had a great crowd; they were having a great time and loved the show. We got our first ever big laugh for the Blazing Saddles "cracker crooker" joke that I make in the shovel gag.
There was a gnome like man wearing bib overalls sitting right in front of the ring that was loving everything Ryan and I did. In the warm up I pretended to cough up sawdust, much to his amusement.
With a big smile on his face, he waved his finger at me, much like I would imagine Santa Claus would do as he threatened to put me on the naughty list.
When I told Ryan about the incident, he got a big kick out of it and found every opportunity he could in the shovel gag to use that move on me.
I was really looking forward to meeting and greeting with the enthusiastic crowd during Intermission, but it was totally ruined by some punk teenagers. I let them get to me and I got so worked up over it that I was on edge for the rest of the show.
In the sink gag I was inside the sink at one point when Ryan pointed out that the foot pedal wasn't attached to the fire extinguisher.
He stalled by doing some extra bits with a pipe while I tried to fix the problem, but I couldn't see an easy solution.
I got so angry at myself over not hooking up the foot pedal until we got backstage and I realized that it wasn't my fault at all. An eye bolt came undone and that caused the problem.
It was still frustrating though; that audience would have eaten up the water part of the gag.
After tear down I drove Jan's RV off the lot. The nice day was deceptive, the lot was still potentially hazardous as far as vehicles getting stuck, so everything was moved to a parking lot right next to the lot.

April 1-Heber Springs, AR April 2-Ash Flat, AR April 3-Mt. Home, AR

1 comment:

Jessi Wonderfool said...

yeah you got a new camera!? Or did you? And remember- don't let those punks get you down. Secretly they just want to be Steve Freaking Copeland!
Live the dream.
Try not to kill anyone.