Friday, March 27, 2009

"Van" Down By The River

Thursday, March 26: Van, TX-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
It was only a 30 mile drive today, but we still had to be up by 5:30 a.m. The reason was that today's lot was next to a school, and unless we arrived before 7:00 a.m., we would have to wait until 10:00 a.m. to be spotted.
When we got to the lot, there was a line out to the road of show vehicles waiting to park. We arrived around 6:45 a.m. and were one of the last to be parked for a little while.
According to Chris, the 24 Hour Man, the lot was a mess because it had "rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock."
We had no problem getting to our spot, but a couple of the seat wagons and big trucks got bogged down in the mud and had to be pulled out via tractor.
Chris must have done some smooth talking, because there were vehicles still being parked well after the 7:00 a.m. dead line. My house got bogged down in the mud, so I spent some time talking to Casey, Nat, and Lucky while they got it situated. In doing so, I got my shoes and socks soaked.
The first thing I did in my room was change foot wear and dry my feet so as to avoid the "goof rot".
After my morning nap I went for a walk and got some lunch. I didn't have much drive to do anything today. It wasn't raining, but it was overcast, and the lot was just a huge mud pit due to all the traffic.
We did good business today, especially at the second show. It was a jam packed house, and they had a lot of energy. 
I had a good time meeting and greeting during the second Intermission. There were all these middle school kids at the show that would say the dumbest things. Ryan and I were ruthless in our rebuttals.
One girl was pretending to be afraid of me. I asked her friends, "What's her problem? Besides her hair, I mean..."
Another girl said, "You're hot!"
I replied, "Thanks. I'd take more comfort from that if you weren't 12."
The kicker was when we were waiting for the sink gag. A girl came up and looked at our props and said, "Ah ha! Those aren't real shovels!"
I replied, "They're pipes!"
Let me tell you, it was honor to meet the Valedictorian of the Van school district.
We didn't have finale for the second show; I'm guessing they wanted to "get the show on the road" since we were moving all the vehicles off the lot tonight.
I was worried that Jan's RV would get bogged down, but thanks to my mad driving skills, we got off the lot with no problem.
Others were not so lucky, as of this posting, they are still hauling vehicles out of the mud.
After I got Jan's RV parked on the school parking lot, Rae, Eric, and I went to Sonic for a late night snack.

March 27-Commerce, TX March 28-Hugo, OK March 29-Idabel, OK

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beckett? Smooth talk? LOL! Man never encountered a situation he didn't make worse.

Jessi Wonderfool said...

we want pictures of mud! pictures of mud!

Steve Copeland said...

There won't be many pictures of anything until I get my camera fixed.

Chris Combs said...

Steve, that would be a "Tall Cow"

Casey McCoy Cainan said...

Here are a few mud pics from Van, TX. a couple days ago. I may get some real live circus in the snow pics today in Huggo.

http://circusdiaries.blogspot.com/2009/03/hits-just-keep-on-comin.html