Thursday, May 14, 2009

Blue Show Rules!

Wednesday, May 13: Connersville, IN-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
It started to rain on our drive this morning. Of course the weather turns bad when I am expecting friends from Ringling's Blue Unit to come visit!

We were playing on a grass lot right next to a Big K Mart. I browsed in the store while I waited for my house to show up.

I noticed on the drive that there was a movie theater in town, but all the movies started when our shows started and ended when our shows ended. Lame!

Today Ryan started painting a sign for the show. They have a little booth that advertises the preferred seating that you can upgrade to for $2. When it was painted long ago someone spelled preferred as "prefered", and since Ryan is artistically inclined, the show contracted him to repaint it to read Ring Side Seating. He is also going to put us on there, because no show can have too much Steve and Ryan!

Since we were expecting a big crew from Ringling tonight, Casey and I walked to the grocery store to pick up supplies for a BBQ. Luckily the weather cooperated during this time; the sun was even out for a short while.

Around 1:00 p.m. it started pouring down rain with occasional thunder and lightning. It rained for 4 hours non stop and finally slacked off in time for Intermission of the first show.
Luckily the ground we were on was pretty solid and most of the huge puddles that had accumulated absorbed right into the grass.

Both shows today were packed and the crowds were very receptive; a good finish to our seemingly never ending run of Indiana.

The group from the Blue Show showed up for the second show. Two car loads of my friends got lost on the way to town by following the GPS. It took them on a road that wasn't finished; it ended in a corn field. They finally showed up in the middle of the shovel gag.

In attendance were about 15 Blue Show personnel, including clowns, dancers, an acrobat or two, and an animal trainer. I was happy that some of my friends that I worked with (and some I made after I left the show) were able to come.

I could see a storm brewing on the horizon shortly before we did the sink gag of the second show. I begged God to hold off on the water works until we had finished the sink gag.
I owe the Big Man one, because he did just that. When we were done and packing up the sink, it started pouring down. Rain was blowing into the Alley and soaking everything. The thunder and lightning were right on top of us too. 
The show ended up getting cut a little short by two acts or so. My friends said that audience was anxious to get out when they heard the storm; apparently the public wasted no time in evacuating the tent.

Luckily Casey had scouted out a back up spot for the BBQ under a horse stable in case of in climate weather. I had such a good time catching up with my friends and hanging out. I'm so happy they were able to come visit. The party wound down around 1:00 a.m. I went right to bed, but the Blue Show crew still had to drive 2 1/2 hours back to Columbus, OH.

May 14-Camden, OH May 15-Loveland, OH May 16-Batavia, OH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?