Thursday, May 7, 2009

Really?!

Thursday, May 7: Warren, IN-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Today was the highlight of my career. I played a Huggy Bear Quick Stop.
The show was set up behind the gas station/truck stop/motel on a pretty crummy lot. There was grass where the tent was, but there were puddles of water everywhere and the ground was incredibly soft.
It poured down rain at some point this morning and then for the rest of the day it was sometimes sunny, sometimes cloudy, and sometimes sprinkling rain.

We had a small crowd for the first show; in fact the whole first show made me question why I do what I do.
The crowd for the second show was much better, which put me in a good mood. Well, that is until Intermission. There was a group of kids, led by a little porker, that would not leave us alone. When I went to leave to get ready for the sink gag, the fat kid grabbed me by the suspenders and pulled hard, almost ripping them off my overalls.
I spun around and grabbed his arm, digging my fingers into his flab. I dropped character and stared him in the eyes while saying in a cold voice, "Let go of my costume, now."
He started freaking out and said, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"
I hated to have to do that in front of so many people, but enough is enough. I can't stand parents who just let their kids run wild and harass us. Next time there is a group of kids like that, I am just going to remove myself from the situation and go backstage.

While I was in the Alley changing for the sink gag, I noticed some ominous storm clouds rolling towards us. 
For a few minutes I thought they were going to blow over us with no problem, but the heavens opened up and it poured like there was no tomorrow! There was lightning and rain blowing everywhere (including into the Alley); it was quite exciting.

I was getting ready to run to the backstage and get rid of the tarp for the sink gag when I saw one of the goofs running out into the rain wrapped in it.
Right before we made our entrance for the sink gag, the downpour stopped. Everything was calm after that.

After we were done with the gag, we were packing up our props when we noticed our tarp lying in the mud. The freaking goof that ran off wearing it didn't bother putting it back neatly, he just tossed it on the ground.
Needless to say, Ryan and I were in a bad mood for the rest of the show and all through tear down.

The past couple of days have been a real pain; I'm hoping we get some nice days, and SOON!

May 8-Decatur, IN May 9-Dunkirk, IN May 10-Day Off!
 

3 comments:

Daniel ~ Sonburn Media said...

I agree. Parents shouldn't let their kids run around like that. That shows the parents lack of responsibility and discipline. Id say he'll learn a lesson from that...I hope the rest of Indiana bodes well for ya.

~Kanaan

Susabelle said...

The weather has been atrocious everywhere in the midwest all spring. We had big storms here last night with hail as big as golf balls, and for the upteenth day in a row I'm waking up to cloudy skies and predicted rain. TIRED of rain. TIRED of gray. I am soooo with you, even if I don't have to work in the mud!

As for the rowdy kids, you likely taught this kid a really GREAT lesson. Too many clowns act "funny" about stuff like having their feet stomped on or noses pinched or costumes grabbed. Not me. I'm a mom in the first place, and I will go into "mom"-mode in a heartbeat and put the little Angels right back in their place firmly and with no smile. I am not mean, but I am firm, definitely. Glad you responded the way you did, honestly. You'll have taught that kid a valuable lesson he will remember for life.

Jack Ryan said...

Steve & Kelly-Miller Folks:

I seem to be in a Charly Baumann frame of mind lately -- your blog post reminded me of how Charly would often handle lot lice -- invite them up close to the tiger cages so they could enjoy a fine spraying. Lord knows as a First of May I had my share.

For any of you non-circus folks out there, until you have been spayed by a tiger, you ain't been sprayed.

When I eventually (I hope) visit you guys, look forward to meeting Casey FAR AWAY from the cages.

May all your days....wait, I already said that.

Jack