Friday, May 1, 2009

Return Of The Mud

Thursday, April 30: Liberty, IN-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We were slowed down this morning on our drive by a plethora of school buses. Their constant stopping combined with the winding mountain roads made for slow going.

The show was playing on a nice, soft, grassy lot. A little too soft it would seem. The show trucks made short work of it and soon it was a muddy quagmire.

I stepped into my room right around 8:30 a.m., and as soon as I did it started raining.

It rained on and off all day; it finally stopped right before the shows started.

We had great crowds today, but for some reason I was in a bad mood.

The oddball kids I met at Intermission made me laugh and lightened my mood a bit. First a little boy came up to me and said, "I want to touch you." 

He then placed his hand smack dab on my crotch. I recoiled and yelled, "Bad touch! I need an adult!"

His mom came over and corrected him...by placing his hands on my breasts...

When they left I looked at the audience around me and said, "Well, that was awkward."

Next I met a portly little fellow that was crying non stop the whole time I was interacting with him. He wasn't scared of me; he just didn't like all the loud noises at the circus. I sympathized by crying with him in the picture we took together. I also quipped, "That's the reaction most people have to my clowning."

It started to rain, thunder and lightning during the second show. The back door was already a muddy mess, and the ring was wet as well. The whole sink gag we were having water fly off our wigs and props from getting poured on outside.

The Alley got soaked too from the wind blowing the rain in. I was a moron and left my boots in the doorway. When I went to put them on for tear down I was greeted with a squishy surprise.

The show moved off the lot after tear down. Jan and I couldn't make our usual hasty exit because we were blocked in by other vehicles.

I'm pretty sure every vehicle on the lot had to be pulled off by tractor except for us. Due to my mad driving skills (and the light weight of the RV) we avoided getting bogged down.

Luckily we didn't have to move far, just to the parking lot next to the field.

I should have walked over to my house until they pulled it off the lot, but I was a moron and sat in the cab of Jan's RV until it showed up. It was the last vehicle pulled out of the mud (they had to use one of the show trucks with a winch. The tractor wouldn't cut it); I got home around 12:30 a.m.

No comments: