Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dreary Days

Thursday, July 16: Tully, NY-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Last night I kept waking up every few hours; needless to say I didn't get much rest before we had to be up to drive.

I was hating life this morning; the drive just seemed to go on forever and ever and I could barely keep my eyes open.

When we got to the lot I crawled into bed and slept until it was too hot in the room to snooze anymore.

I walked into town, about a mile or so, so I could get some orange juice, and then I took my chair into the tent. I slept there with my legs propped up in the bleachers until it was time to get ready for the shows.

The first show was almost full. The gags continued to kill me, but afterwards I would lie down in the Alley and feel rejuvinated.

A circus fan and blog reader, Bill Tenity, was hanging out backstage taking photos during the first show, and he stuck around to watch the second show, which was also almost full.

I was feeling much better for the second show because I paced myself for the gags; my energy held out a lot longer. To top it all off, we had a good sink gag too.

I stopped at the BBQ tonight quickly just to grab something to eat. I hadn't had food all day long; I went right to bed afterwards. My fever was terrible.

Friday, July 17: Phelps, NY-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
We had a 71 mile drive this morning; I was still feeling awful, so it wasn't much fun.
When we got to the lot I got some medicine from Natalie and then crashed. I didn't get up until 2:00 p.m.!
I was feeling much better after taking a hot shower, and of course all the rest helped as well.

We had small crowds at the shows today. We died in the first sink gag, an unfortunate trend that has occured for the last three days.
Intermissions were also a pain today, nobody wanted to talk to us or interact with us, and we wound up being very bored.

I started feeling worse by the time the second show rolled around; even all the laughs we got didn't make me feel better.

We had to move off the lot tonight because it rained a few times and there was only a narrow grassy path leading off the lot. Sure enough, a few of the bigger show trucks got stuck and had to be pulled out.

We moved several blocks away to a parking lot; luckily that didn't stop Casey and Natalie from barbecuing. I was feeling much better since everything was done for the day and I had a clear head once more.

No comments: