Saturday, July 25, 2009

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

Wednesday, July 22: Union City, PA-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Today's lot was split into two sections with a street separating them. On one side of the road was the cookhouse and a lot of the trailers, and on the other side were the shows trucks, the tent, and a couple of performer trailers.

Ryan and I worked on the sink doors today. We got them sanded, painted, and we got the handles and hinges attached. We ran out of time before we could actually get the doors on the sink though.

We had an average sized crowd for the first show and a good sized crowd for the second show. The basin of the sink is a mess due to saturated foam and tearing latex. Because of that, the faucet was practically falling off for both shows. It caused the fire extinguisher hose to fall into the sink during the first show. That left us with no water for the blow off of the gag; lame!

Ryan took a nap in between shows; I didn't realize that until John Moss started his opening announcements and Ryan was nowhere to be found. I had to wake him up and then get John to wait for a minute while Ryan got dressed and to the back door. Naturally Casey wouldn't give Ryan a break about the incident for the rest of the day.

It was sunny all day today, but it clouded over and rained just in time for tear down. It poured all night, which made our BBQ a little miserable.

Thursday, July 23: Cochranton, PA-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
It was still raining this morning, and it rained all the way through the tent set up on the soft grassy lot.

Ryan and I walked into town later in the day when the weather cleared up, but there was nothing to be found; just two gas stations.

We had good crowds for both shows, but we were missing one small seat wagon due to mechanical problems, so it looked like more people than it was.

The first show was off to a rocky start when the computer with all the show's music had to be restarted right before we began our warm up. 
Then when it came time for opening, it was discovered that the song "The Greatest Show on Earth" (which is used for the number), had mysteriously disappeared. 
Opening was done instead to the swinging strains of Brian Setzer's "As Long As I'm Singin'".

Ryan and I had our own difficulties in the first show. Our brains weren't working very well in the shovel gag, so a bit or two was flubbed. 
Then at Intermission we took the sink into the tent and covered it; when we went backstage we found the foot pedal that works the water lying on the ground. 
We had to go out and fix it in the tent before the second half could start.

To top it all off, it started to rain during the first show! We just can't catch a break!

Everybody had to move off the lot and down the street to the school parking lot. It was tricky getting to the road since Jan's RV was all the way at the back of the lot, but thanks to my fancy driving we were able to avoid the mud and all the trailers in the way and make it to solid ground.

Thankfully we still had our BBQ tonight, because I was starving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*I found your livejournal account*
No wonder you're so good at writing blogs, you've done it since you were a kid.