Friday, July 10, 2009

Three In One

Saturday, July 4: Warren, MA-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.


It was so refreshing to wake up and see the sun this morning; it really started my day off on the right foot.


While we were having our morning coffee social at the Cainan trailer, one of the tigers peed on us. Casey got the brunt of it on his back, and I got a nice jet of potent urine on the legs of my nice jeans.

I had been going back and forth on whether or not to do laundry at the laundromat up the street; that incident decided it for me.


While I was cleaning my clothes Mr. North's wife, Shirley, came by to do some laundry too. We chatted for awhile until we were done. She and Mr. North were nice enough to take my laundry back to the lot for me while I grabbed a bite to eat next door.


Ryan's grandparents came by for one last visit today. They had taken Ryan to a great bookstore called the Book Bear, and they were nice enough to take me too.

I could have spent an entire day and a week's pay at the shop; it was fantastic.


I made a great haul of books from a wide variety of authors and on many subjects: Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Bros., Ernie Kovacks, Lewis Grizzard, and even circus performer, Mike Sanger.

The tab came to over $100.


We had small crowds today; I wasn't really expecting much attendance for the 4th of July. Still, it would have been nice if they had been more responsive.


For some reason I was zapped today and didn't have much energy; my legs were very tired too. I would have figured my arms would have been the problem from our kayaking trip yesterday.


To keep myself amused during the second show Intermission, I made a pair of vampire fangs out of some blue chips that Valerie gave me. I snuck around hissing at the cast and crew. Surprisingly children seemed to like me more as a vampire clown than as my usual self.


After the show there was a big 4th of July BBQ with lots of good food. The circus kids did a tribute to Michael Jackson where they performed "Thriller". It was very funny and the kids had cool zombie make ups done by Armando's wife, Natalia. 


The only downside of the party was that my newly cleaned and pee free jeans got fruit punch spilled on them. D'oh!



July 5 & 6: Copake, NY-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.


Sunday was an off day for the show. Ryan and I loaded up with the Cainans to go to the mall outside of Albany. It was a lot of fun; I got a hair cut and bought laces for my clown shoes. How exciting!


On Monday I was refreshed and ready to get back to performing. I had breakfast at a great little diner in downtown Copake (which consisted of said diner, a gas station, a pharmacy, and a deli).


I sat outside all day today to enjoy the beautiful weather. You don't realize how much you appreciate something until you go without it for awhile (in our case, about a month!)


We had two great crowds today (surprising considering the size of the town) that almost filled the tent each show.


I found myself getting out of breath easily today during the gags; I'm assuming we were at a higher altitude. Or I need to lay off the 3 foot high banana splits!


Renato caught the triple somersault again during the first show. I had my own acrobatic accomplishment during Intermission of the second show. I was jumping over the mesh net that keeps the crowd out of the curtain area when my clown shoe got caught and I fell on my back.

Ryan was coming over about that time and asked me if I wanted him to flip me up. The move: he grabs my legs and throws them up and towards my head while I push up from the ground with my hands. When I'm in the air I do a back tuck and land on my feet.

I haven't done the move in over 4 years since we did it on Ringling, but I flew up and nailed my landing perfectly. I was so proud of myself!


July 7-Mechanicsville, NY July 8-Day Off July 9-North Creek, NY July 10-Gloversville, NY

No comments: