Thursday, August 27, 2009

Here Comes A D--K Fish!

Wednesday, August 19: Empire, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
We were in the middle of nowhere today: 6 miles out of town. There was absolutely nothing to do or see around the lot.

My back was still bothering me this morning, but once I got up and started moving around it felt much better.

I caught a ride with Natalie into town where I stocked up on food for the day. The little coffee house I visited was well worth the time and money; I took Natalie there afterwards so she could see it too.

Despite being in the middle of nowhere, we did bang up business today. The first show was packed and the second show also had a sizable crowd. 
I think it is safe to say that they were starved for entertainment. 


Thursday, August 20: Manistee, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Today was dreary and overcast, but it didn't stop me from going out to get my friends coffee!
There was a laundromat half a mile away, so I schlepped my clothes over to get them cleaned.
It started to rain while I was inside, so I had a slightly moist walk back to the lot.

I got cleaned up and put my clothes away before meeting Ryan downtown.
He had already spent $80 on circus posters and programs from one antique store; he figured he better buy them up before I had a chance to.

I bought some books in town (big surprise), and also a poster for the Venice opening of the 110th Edition of Ringling that had a big picture of Lou Jacobs and Kunckle Head (excuse me, Knuckle Head) on it.

After lunch and a power nap, I was ready to face the audiences today. The fact that the sun finally came out helped matters. The other fact that both shows were packed didn't hurt either.

I cut the hell out of my chin while shaving, and it was still bleeding profusely while I was putting my make up on.
I had a big orange spot to the side of my white mouth, so per Ryan's suggestion I tried outlining it in black to make a "Felix Adler mole". This proved to be a huge disaster.
I took the offending spot off and expertly patched the make up, which solved my problem.

The bigger problem was that my make up was not up to my usual high standards today (uneven eyebrows, strange mouth shape, etc). Of course this was the day Valerie took pictures of us for her blog (http://themudshowdiaries.blogspot.com). D'oh!

A drunk man molested me during the second Intermission. He stumbled up, smelling of gin and broken dreams, and started mumbling incoherencies while jabbing me in the stomach.
I screamed my usual fare for such situations, i.e. "Bad touch! I need an adult! Stranger danger!" and so on...
This only prompted him to come back and give me another nostril full and another gut jabbing.

As we were setting the sink, he continued to yell drunken gibberish at me, including calling me "Bozohead".

Well played sir...

I guess I haven't made one of these jokes in awhile...

It was an honor to meet the mayor of this fine city!

After a brief BBQ Ryan, Casey, and I walked over a mile to a karaoke bar. The place was jam packed and I had to wait awhile to sing.
When I did, I brought the house down by belting out "Rock Lobster". Ryan and Casey definitely enjoyed my asinine spectacle.

August 29-DeMotte, IN August 30-Lowell, IN August 31-Watseka, IL



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Show me on the doll, where the man touched you.

Paul H. said...

Hey S&R. Been enjoying the blog and plan to catch the show in the Chicago area.

If you're interested in circus books and programs, I'd be happy to send you my price lists. If you see something you like, let me know and I can deliver.

Paul Holley
email: showbizbooks@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve, This isn't your fault, but tell the advance crew to update the web sight with the Chicago locations, dates, and times. I'm trying to plan a visit with my family and it only shows up to tomorrow August 31st.

We need to know where to find you soon.

Thanks,

"Mr. Bill" Machtel

How about getting up to date on your posts too? I can't imagine how difficult it must be to do what you're doing and keep this thing up as well as you do. Keep up the great work.

Steve Copeland said...

Hey Mr. Bill,

I will get you Chicago dates ASAP. What is your e-mail?
One I know is Glendale Heights, IL on September 3, 4, and 5