Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mo' Michigan!

Wednesday, August 12: Frankenmuth, MI 

Casey and I found a great coffee house this morning in downtown Frankenmuth. Later we went jogging through town; the downtown, with faux Bavarian designs and touristy stuff out the wazzoo, is very neat.


There was a laundromat across the street from the lot, so Ryan, Radar, Natalie, and I all walked over to take advantage of it.


Armed with clean clothes, Ryan and I explored the shops next to the lot and got some delicious crepes.

We wandered further downtown and checked out a cheese shop, and then we had lunch at the Bavarian Inn. Yay food!


Frankenmuth is famous for Bronner's, the world's largest Christmas store, so naturally I had to check it out.

It was indeed huge, and had many displays that made me and Ryan laugh when seeing them through our twisted sense of humor.

While there, I bought several ornaments of the "Bumble" character from the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer stop motion animation TV special. 

Starting last December, my theme for Christmas has become "A Very Bumble Christmas With Steve Copeland", so I try to pick up new ornaments and statues whenever I can.


We had good sized crowds for the shows. Today, Casey picked up a set of weights, so we occupied ourselves with those during breaks in the performance.


My friend, Tanya, and her friend, Bill, came to see the second show. They came to the BBQ tonight, and got to witness our hilarious torture of Radar.

As Radar was sitting down to eat, Ryan pushed his chair out from under him, causing Radar to fall and spill his food on himself.

Ah, sweet, hilarious cruelty


Casey also tried to kill me with some 100 proof Southern Comfort, but it didn't have any....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz



Thursday, August 13: Breckenridge, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

The big show trucks had to be moved around a bit to avoid getting bogged down in the sandy parts of the lot today.


Casey and I went for our morning jog into the town and the local cemetery. We figured the cemetery would be convenient if Casey suddenly keeled over from the effort of exercising. 


I spotted a massage therapy place not too far from the lot, so this afternoon I got a very relaxing, hour long massage.

I would have liked there to be more deep tissue work, but beggars can't be choosers! 

It was so relaxing that I fell asleep on the table several times; I would have paid her to let me take a nap in the massage room. It was so comfortable!


We had small, dead crowds at the shows. Rod Pringle, a blog reader and former circus calliope player, came to the first show and brought all kinds of goodies for me, Ryan, Pato, Casey, and Armando.

His visit was definitely the highlight of the shows.


In fact, I was dragging so much during the second show that I had to use my silly Swedish voice during the gags to keep me and Ryan going. 



Friday, August 14: Skid Way Lake, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. 

We had an 86 mile jump to the middle of nowhere today. We were miles from "town" and had nothing around the lot to keep us occupied.


I got a ride into town with Dan so I could get some breakfast and pick up some cat food and cigarettes for Jan (because I'm such an awesome guy!). 

I walked the several miles back to the lot and got plenty of sun along the way.


We had small crowds for both shows, which wasn't too surprising considering the size of the "town". At least the second audience thought that Ryan and I were funny.


I had no cell phone signal or Internet service today; d'oh! Just how did those guys do it back in the early 1900's!? :o)



Saturday, August 15: Oscoda, MI-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

As we were driving into Oscoda this morning, I noticed all kinds of cool places that I wanted to check out before our shows.

My hopes vanished as we drove further and further away from downtown. Once again we were out in the middle of nowhere, this time next to an airport.


Casey and I went 3 miles on our morning jog. When he went to turn around, I kept going so I could explore Oscoda. It was only an extra two miles or so to reach the end of the town proper.

I got to get some breakfast, walk on the beach, and check out two cool book stores.

I even dropped around $20 at the second one; I could have spent the whole day there. There were books everywhere!


I definitely got my exercise walking the 5 miles back to the lot while toting two bags of heavy books.

Luckily Leslie, the mechanic, and his family picked me up close to the lot and drove me the rest of the way.


We had two packed shows, which was great. I tried out a new bit at Intermission with a prop that I picked up at the book store. 

It was an Economics book that I got for free. I walked around reading it, getting in people's way and running into various objects. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the visual of a clown reading an Economics textbook is funny.

I am going to "pimp it out" with a fold out pin up girl and a hidden comic book inside, along with any other funny ideas I think of.


A teenage girl wanted my number during the second show, so she sent her two younger friends over to get it from me.

I wrote the number 7 on it and sent it back. They came back over and said, "She wants a 9 digit number."

Naturally I wrote the number 9 on the paper and sent it back. Finally she wanted to see me in person, and when she asked what I looked like out of make up, I gave her the God's honest truth, "I'm hot!"

I forgot to mention that I'm also humble....


August 19-Empire, MI August 20-Manister, MI August 21-Scottville, MI


3 comments:

ROD PRINGLE said...

Hello Steve :

It was great seeing you and Ryan perform in Breckenridge. You guys really rocked the tent with your GREAT CLOWNING. I see that Scottville Mi is on the route. Scottville is home to the famous SCOTTVILLE CLOWN BAND, They do an excelllent job on those old circus marches. I hope they come out to the lot and play for the warm up, You guys would hit it right off.
Hope to catch the show again in West Michigan, I live in Lansing Michigan in the lower center of the state. , So i can be in West Michigan in about an hour or so.

Thanks again Steve

"Calliope" Rod Pringle

Anonymous said...

Steve, you dog, do you have to have a girl in every town? It's All About Steve. ;).

Casey McCoy Cainan said...

"I'm Hot"


WTF!!!!

Bup bup bup bup...shut that wood chopping accident you call a mouth. You sir, are a liar, you are ignorant, and you are a W*&^%e!