Saturday, September 26, 2009

Life Lessons & A 3 Day Stand! Whoo!

Monday, September 14: Harvard, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
We had a 65 mile jump this morning. Once we got settled at the lot I joined Ryan, Radar, and Natalie for a trip to the laundromat.

When we got back, Ryan and I went into the ring and blocked out our two main gags for next year.

There was almost a full house for the first show. During Intermission a kid tried to pull my nose off, so I put my arm around him and gave him a noogie, a bit that was very well received by the audience. I think I found my new defense! 

We had a full house for the second show, and we got good reactions to our gags. Sadly the circus rumor mill spoiled my fun tonight. 
I'll be honest, I'm just as guilty as anyone else when it comes to talking about and listening to circus rumors, but lately it has just been running me into the ground.
It was a lot easier to avoid all this mess on Ringling when I could hide in my room and the anonymity of Clown Alley, but unfortunately I am not afforded that luxury anymore.
For awhile now (chiefly since I heard rumors going around about me [and they are MUCH more creative than ones of me and Ryan being together]), I have been doing my best not to get caught up in the whole business. I guess it takes something like that to make you realize how much rumors hurt. Oh well, nobody is perfect.
I resolve to keep my mouth shut unless I have something nice to say about someone, and to not listen to circus gossip!
It will be much easier when I have my swinging "fortress of solitude" pad next year that I can retreat to.

I felt better about everything after some encouraging words of wisdom from my friend and constant mentor, Scott O'Donnell. Watching the Best of Chris Farley SNL DVD helped too!


Tuesday, September 15: McHenry, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Today was a happy day; we are near civilization for the next three days!
Ryan, Casey, and I went in search of some shopping, but everything was closed until 10 a.m.

I had lunch with my friend Don Lansu today. I didn't get much of a chance to catch up with him on Saturday, so it was nice to actually talk at length with him for the first time since 2004.
After lunch he took me to a used book store and we got some ice cream at Oberweis. 

We had a small crowd for the first show. For this three day stand we are having Radar film our gags for posterity/promotional purposes.
While he was filming the sink gag he heard two very funny comments from an old woman sitting near him.
First, when we rack our crotches on the bally cloth: "That was stupid."
Next, later during the gag: "It's so stupid that it is funny!"

Lady, you don't know the half of it!

We had another small crowd for the second show. My friend, Kate, who I worked with on Ringling, is here for the next few days to get a job with the show.
She has been staying with Adam and Elaine Burck, who live in the area. They all attended tonight's BBQ.


Wednesday, September 16: McHenry, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Ryan and I went to have breakfast this morning, and then we browsed through Borders. I have become a reading fiend lately, trying desperately to put a dent in the huge amount of books I have amassed this season. I bought a book light so I can read in the dark Clown Alley and when they shut the power off at night.

Next on our expedition was the Halloween store. We didn't find much of interest, but Ryan did buy two foam pirate swords from Michael's next door.
Casey has been big into dueling since he read a book on the subject, so Ryan figured they would be a fun purchase.

Armed with our weapons, we set out to conquer Jimmy John's and Oberweis, ordering the "wenches" that worked there to supply us with some grub.
To show that "intelligent pirates be we", we played a rousing game of chess at the latter location.
Since neither of us knows how to play that game though, we just removed some of the pieces and played checkers instead.

We had average sized crowds tonight. We cleaned up and changed around a couple of bits in the sink gag thanks to observations we made from last night's video footage.


Thursday, September 17: McHenry, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
This morning Ryan and I went for coffee. When we got back to the lot, Ryan fixed our water heater while I glued some of our broken props.

Father Tom, who has been visiting the past couple of days, gave us some clown stickers for our steamer trunks.
Before heading into town again, I posed for some pictures in front of a backdrop for Valerie's photo project:


Ryan and I set out into town to search for a mini DV tape. The search was in vain; we walked long and far to no avail.
I did pick up some great chocolate milk from Oberweis to repay Radar for his video camera help the past couple of nights.

We had a decent sized crowd for our first show. During Intermission I met a stressed out lady who was in severe need of a high colonic.
I also met a punk kid who called me a weirdo. He and his stupid friends then came over and bugged me for most of Intermission.
I actually didn't mind their conversation too much as it kept me on my toes. He even got me good; we were discussing my clown make up, and he asked, "Do you use make up to get your teeth yellow like that?"

Even though my pride was hurt, I had to laugh and give him credit for a good insult.

We had an almost full second show. I don't know where my brain was this evening (probably on my upcoming visit from Abby), but the whole show I kept putting the wrong costumes on for the wrong numbers. Time for a break!!!

September 28: Marseilles, IL September 29: Burlington, IL September 30: Oregon, IL


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*gasp* I'm so jealous of Abby. But y'all do make a cute couple, so I wish y'all the best.

Anonymous said...

*gasp* I'm so jealous of Abby. But y'all do make a cute couple, so I wish y'all the best.