Friday, September 4, 2009

So Long Michigan!

Wednesday, August 26: Hastings, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
It was still raining when I woke up this morning, and it continued coming down until this afternoon.

Our lot was in the middle of nowhere, which was quite a culture shock coming from the land of plenty, otherwise known as Holland.
I caught up on sleep since there was nothing to do.

We had an average sized crowd for the first show and a very small crowd for the second show. In addition to having that small audience, the 7:30 show had the distinction of being one of the Top 10 Worst Shows (reaction wise) we have done.

Carson & Barnes is playing this town in several days; they have a lot more advertising, and they are playing right in town, as opposed to the lot we were on where Jesus lost his sandals.


Thursday, August 27: Paw Paw, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Once again we were playing a town with nothing in it. But really, what did we expect coming from a town named after a food item in the song "The Bare Neccesities" from Disney's "The Jungle Book"? (I know, that joke WAS a bit of a stretch, but just go with it)
I dedicated today to relaxing, just like yesterday. The survival kit of fruit and snacks that Natalie kindly packed helped get me through the day.

It was a dreary day and there was mud all over the back door and inside the tent. We did have good crowds at least.

Ryan and I got much enjoyment out of a "walrus man" watching the first show. He had a big, bushy, Chester Conklin mustache and looked like he was having the worst time of his life. 
Our speculation that he was loving the show despite his miserable countenance kept us amused the whole performance.

The other highlight of the show was the gift of some delicious homemade zucchini bread from David Reddy.

The only kink in the works today was that the generator kept shutting off during the shows.
Also it started raining during the second Intermission and really came down during tear down.
The mud was unbelievable in the back door once everything was done.
I almost did a face plant into the muck when my boot got stuck in a dinosaur sized track that an elephant left behind.


Friday, August 28: Benton Harbor, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
It was still raining this morning when I woke up (I sense a theme here). Almost everybody had to be pulled off the lot via tractor.

Today we were once again by civilization...and a mall!
My spirits were kept high by this, despite the fact that it was another dreary, rainy day.

I had breakfast with Dan this morning; later in the day I checked out the mall, and Ryan and I went to a big Halloween store and bought a couple of props for next year.

My other big project of the day was making some phone calls to catch up with people.
As I was heading back to the lot I ran into Robert Bohjanen, who gave me a bag full of White Tops from the late 90's. I spent most of the shows looking through them.

We had good crowds for the shows, and I actually had a lot of fun for the second one.
It is so easy to get caught up in the daily grind, and I sometimes forget to actually enjoy what I am doing.

After the shows Ryan, Casey, Radar, and I walked to the nearby movie theatre to see Rob Zombie's "Halloween II".
I was pretty disappointed in the movie, but I think I would have enjoyed it much more had our movie going experience not been so miserable.

Everyone in the theater was talking the whole movie, and none louder than Laquita and Necronda, who were sitting right behind us.
Obviously this uncouth behavior is common, because a "rent a cop" had to stay in the theater the entire movie and yell at people to keep quiet.
I was beside myself by the time the film was over.

To top it all off, as I was trying to go to sleep at 1:00 a.m., a group of drunken reprobates was stumbling home from the bar next door and decided to scream slurs and threats at the circus.
What a stupid, ghetto town. (I know, I know. I shouldn't hold back. I should tell you all what I REALLY think)

:o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a woman working for me named.....no joke....Latrina