Saturday, December 26, 2009

The End...For Now

Hey everyone,

Here is my holiday gift to you all. Uploading the entries from the last two days of the tour. And only two months late!

Saturday, October 24: Fort Smith, AR-2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
I slept in this morning; when I finally woke up I went walking near the lot and explored nearby Latino and Asian markets.

We had an average sized crowd for the first show. Becky Raborn and her friends Ashley, Jen, Octavius, and Janet brought some much needed enthusiasm with them.

After the show we had a nice sized break, so I got cleaned up so Becky could take me shopping. Becky was nice enough to buy me a couple of books I wanted, and I had some extra spending cash when we went to Wal Mart thanks to a generous birthday gift from one of her friends.

When we got back to the lot and it was time for me to get into make up, the sun had already gone down. I ended up putting my make up on in the dark; luckily I am a pro and it wasn't a problem.

We had another average sized crowd for our evening show. Every break we had during the show was spent making up Radar and Casey for the post show Halloween party.
I made Radar up as myself and Casey was made up as Ryan. We decided it would be funny if there were four clowns in finale, so they joined us in the ring.
John Moss put it best afterwards when he said, "It was like a nightmare!"



After the show was the 2009 Kelly Miller Halloween Party. I'm pretty sure everyone showed up to eat, drink, and have a good time, and a good amount of people dressed up for the costume contest.
Ryan and I dressed up as Armando and Buckner, the elephant crew.


We made a piece of elephant crap out of spray foam, and we placed it on top of a remote control car. I would yell at Ryan/Buckner to clean the crap up, but every time he would get near, it would run away from him.

My favorite thing about the party was watching Casey and Radar do the sink gag. Casey would literally beat the snot out of Radar with our props. It was hilarious!


In the end Casey and Radar won first place for their costumes, Armando won second place dressed as Zorro (and entering the party on a horse), and Ryan and I won third place.


Sunday, October 25: Fort Smith, AR-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
It finally arrived! The last day of the season! I felt very lazy today and I didn't want to get the show on the road (so to speak).

We had a small crowd for the first show. Becky Raborn was back with Alex and Robert; she was about the only person with enthusiasm in the whole audience.
The daughter of one of my blog readers, Dick from California, was at the show and came over to say "Hi" during Intermission.

Ryan and I were frustrated by the lack of laughter in the sink gag, so whenever a bit was met with silence, we would tell each other, "That's not funny!"

We ended the season with a whimper, rather than a bang. The last show's audience was pathetic. When Ryan and I shook hands at the end of the last sink gag, he said to me, "What a way for this gag to go out."

John Moss made a special announcement during Finale to let the audience know that they had witnessed the final show of 2009. Here it is:



True to form, it started raining during the end of the show, and it continued all the way through tear down.

We had the final America's Own BBQ tonight, with Becky Raborn in attendance. And that's a wrap!


So there you have it folks. The 2009 season of Kelly Miller Circus.

The next day we drove 200 miles back to Hugo. It was raining.
Jan and I were the third ones to arrive at Winter Quarters, where we were greeted with lots and lots of mud!

As soon as the generator truck showed up, I started packing things up. Ryan showed up hours later than everyone else, because the driver of the show van, Wrong Way Dan, lived up to his name sake and went 40 miles in the wrong direction.
Ryan finally took control and got them to Hugo.

Thanks to the help of our friend, Dudley Hamilton, who gave us a ride wherever we needed to go, Ryan was able to rent a storage unit, and we worked all day and into the night getting our stuff out of our awful, awful room and into storage.

It took a couple of days to get a rental car (thanks to there not being a company anywhere near Hugo or Paris that would do a one way rental), so we stayed with the Cainans at their beautiful home in Paris, TX.

Finally we rented a car about an hour away from Paris, loaded up, and Ryan and I drove to Myrtle Beach, SC.
Ryan picked up a U-Haul truck, I helped him load all of his possessions into it, and then he headed straight back to Hugo, while I continued on home to Walterboro, SC.

It has been a great break, and it is almost over. A lot has happened; I will fill you all in on it soon!

8 comments:

Rose said...

Thank you, Steve. That Christmas gift was better than a chia pet, snuggly, pair of red and green fur filled crocks.

It was better, even, than a red ryder bb gun. Which, based on your comments in the video, you might have wanted to have for the crowd.

I, sincerely, hope that your time off has been good to, and for, you, and I thank you for your blog. Have a great new year!

Circus Photos said...

Steve,
Thanks, It was a great season of blogs. You have happy & safe New Years. Look forword to The Adventures Of Steve & Ryan season 2. See you when you play Ohio.

The Old Timer said...

Thanks for the Christmas blog and video of the final performance of the season. I've really enjoyed keeping up on the 2009 K-M tour with your excellent reports and photos. I trust that you'll do it again in 2010. Have a good New Year!

katrinamlupin said...

I've greatly enjoyed your blog, with your snarky comments, dry wit and general distaste for humanity included. It puts a real face to the intimate details of a circus clown - the ups, the downs, the in-between-times, and while working. It's a great learning experience, seeing the show through a clown's eyes! Please do this again!

~Lady K (aka Lady Nora Boogermeister)

Michael Newton-Brown said...

Thanks, Steve,for the update. Hope your time off has been terrific. Certainly well-earned. And, I look forward to the new blog in the upcoming season.

Crystal said...

Good times...good times.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hi from Ireland, look forward to being with the show in Brownsville we are freezing here for 3 weeks now1 Guess I should have put up and shut up about the rain and floods...now I have no water in the yard or stables