Friday, February 19, 2010

February 17-18: Brownsville, TX-6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

On Wednesday Jessi and I had web practice at noon. While we were there we met the twin Ogle sisters, Nikki and Carla, from Australia.
Nikki will be doing her trapeze act in the show and Carla will be a showgirl.

Once we were done with rehearsal I drove to the mall to get away from the circus for awhile; it was nice to get some alone time.

I was feeling under the weather for the shows tonight. I think I may be getting sick; I made sure to get as much Vitamin C as possible throughout the night.

We had a good sized crowd for the first show; however, neither the guns or the chickens worked for the exterminator gag.
Next year we are doing low prop, easy gags! Ring Ring, Tide, Bigger Bigger, and Four Chairs here we come!

We had a good sized crowd for the second show. As we were doing opening, Ryan spotted a couple huddling under one jacket, so he made a two headed man joke.
I threw out a line from the Simpsons to make Natalie laugh, "We'll put him on display and charge two bits a gander!"

Finally we had a turn of luck in the exterminator gag. The gun worked again (we had bad squibs the show before), and the chicken drop sort of worked. We found out that we need to keep the drop bag a longer distance from the beehive so the chickens can fall out easily.

After the shows we had the first America's Own Bar & Grill BBQ of the season. I had missed them a lot; it was great to have one again.


On Thursday it rained all day. Oh joy of laughter!
Jessi and I hung around the trailer all day waiting to get our sewage tank dumped, but they didn't get the truck on the lot before it started getting soft again. Guess we'll have to wait until Los Fresnos.

While we were waiting, I sloshed over to the tent to help Ryan, Tatiana, and Casey fix the slide table.
The cables running between the table legs were coming loose, so we fixed the problem with stronger cable.

Finally Jessi and I couldn't take it anymore, so we left the lot for awhile just to get out.
I bought thank you gifts for me and Ryan to give to people that helped us out in Winter Quarters and for the opening of the season.

We had a small crowd for the first show. I wasn't too surprised considering the rain and all the standing water on the lot.
The backyard and backstage were flooded; there was no way to keep anything dry or clean.

We learned a few things in the slide table act tonight. One was that the table is really hard to slide on when it is wet.
Another is that Converse are horrible sneakers for traction. We were slipping and sliding all over the place. We had to run very carefully on the ring mat.

The good news is that everything worked in the exterminator gag. Saints be praised!

We had an even smaller crowd at the second show. Lame!

The laws of gravity were out to get us tonight. First Ryan slipped and fell in the table act; then I fell chasing Jessi out of the web number. Ryan started cackling immediately because he is a good friend.

The final coup de grace of the evening was when I stepped in a big mud hole after the exterminator gag and got my Converse sneaker soaked. I washed both shoes out in the shower after the show and set the heater on them.

Nikki and Carla, the Ogle sisters, came over to the trailer tonight to hang out with me and Jessi. We attempted to watch a couple of movies, but we ended up just talking until the power went out.

No comments: