Tuesday, February 23, 2010

February 20-21: Brownsville, TX-3:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

On Saturday the sun came out, but there was nothing it could do about the horrible mud and standing water all over the lot.
Jessi and I stayed in all day playing Lego Star Wars on XBox.

We had a good sized crowd for the first show, which was Nikki and Carla's first. Yesterday was Becky's last day performing with us.

In between shows I got my truck hooked up to my trailer. I was then going to jack knife the truck so that we could get props in and out of the back, but I got stuck trying to go forward again.
Although this made the prospects for tear down a lot dimmer, I was relieved that I at least got my trailer hooked up in all the mud.

We had an almost full second and third show. The mud just wore me down today; it took so much energy to just get to and from my trailer for costume changes, let alone the energy exuded in the ring.
On top of that I felt so dirty with my shoes and hands coated in mud almost the whole time.
The exterminator gag costumes are awful; we each have only one suit due to a "wardrobe malfunction" on Ryan's two jumpsuits, and the ones we have are spattered with mud from falling down and rolling around on the dirty ring mat.
Thankfully the third show audience was a lot of fun and gave me my second wind.

After the shows I joined Nikki over at Casey and Natalie's trailer for some Wii playing. Casey also concocted a drink that "knocked my dick in my watch pocket" (a Chandler-ism).
I didn't get home and in bed until 3:30 in the morning.


On Sunday I slept late (big surprise) and went to Starbucks with Nikki before we had to start work.

There was a good sized crowd for the first show; all throughout the performance Ryan and I kept referring to ourselves as the "Dirtiest Clowns In Showbiz" in reference to the state of our shoes, props, and costumes.

Finally I started cleaning stuff off in between shows just so I wouldn't feel like a filthy hog. Despite this, everything was a mess again by the time we finished the second show, which prompted a "Screw It!" mentality in regards to cleanliness until we get to the next lot.

The last two shows were almost full; I'm sure that something eventful happened, but all that I had on my mind was getting out of my dirty clothes, washing my make up off, and getting off the lot!

Loading our props after the show was interesting, due to me being hooked up to the trailer. We managed to slide the table into the back with the legs off, and then we lifted our cart and box of exterminator tools into the room in the side of the truck.
Well....that is how it was supposed to happen.
As we were lifting the cart up, the box tumbled off and landed top down in the mud. Just one more prop we will have to clean off tomorrow.

I got my trailer all ready to go, but I didn't even get pulled to the edge of the lot until close to 3 a.m.
I fell asleep in the cab of the truck for about an hour while I was waiting. When Chris and Danny came to pull me, the tow ring on the front of my truck got yanked right off by the chain attached to the tractor.
I had to crawl down in the mud and loop the chain over my front axle to get pulled; on top of it all the battery wouldn't start, so I just put it in neutral and slid along.

When I got into bed there were still show trucks and trailers left to be pulled off. I did not envy the guys still working on until morning call.

February 24-28: McAllen, TX

No comments: