Thursday, February 25, 2010

February 24-26: McAllen, TX-6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

On Wednesday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for a 45 mile drive. It took me forever to complete it!
First I was blocked in by some show trucks, so I had to wait awhile to get off the lot, then I stopped to get fuel (after going down a one way street the wrong way since I missed my turn) only to pull up to a non diesel truck pump. There was no way for me to turn around in the small area, so I just moved on.
A few minutes later I looked in one of my side mirrors to see that my trailer door was open. I pulled off the highway onto the frontage road and found a place to pull over. I had pulled up where a huge mud puddle was at my door, so I didn't have much leverage to get it closed well (you really have to push the bottom of my door to get it to stick).
I got back on the highway just to see the door open again 10 minutes later. This time I pulled over on the side of the highway and gave my door a mighty push to keep it closed.
To top it all off, I got stuck in rush hour traffic going into town!

I was rewarded for my long, stressful journey by finding that we were on a nice grassy lot right next to the highway. We are just a block over from last year's lot which means there is plenty of shopping and eateries nearby.

It was a beautiful, sunny day, but the wind had a chill to it. Ryan and I made squibs until we got Tatiana and went to see the movie "The Wolfman". I wasn't expecting to like it, but I did enjoy the film. It could have been a little shorter though.

Jessi had found Taschen's circus photo book at Barnes & Noble for $20, so I called Ryan, who was there later on in the day, and had him pick me up a copy.

I took a nap this afternoon and slept through my alarm. Jessi woke me up just in time to get into make up for the show. This put me in a grumpy mood, and the small, unresponsive crowd we had for the first show didn't help matters.
I was more than a bit snarky over the microphone for opening. Bad Steve.

Valerie took our picture for the program after we were done with the number. Speaking of programs, does anyone have a copy or three from last year? I was a schmuck and didn't pick up a copy for myself or my family.
If anyone out there has copies they are willing to spare, please e-mail me at stclown@lowcountry.com

There was a little kid sitting right by where I set Jessi's web, and he would not leave me alone for the whole number.
He kept yelling to me while I was trying to concentrate. Finally I turned to him while spinning Jessi slowly and said, "I'm kinda busy, buddy!"

In the exterminator gag I was running with our wooden ladder over my head when I slipped and fell, bringing all my weight down on the ladder. This caused one leg to break off; Ryan took a beat and then whacked me over the head with one of the breakaway rungs.
This was the perfect topper for how my show was going.

After the show a father called me over to see a little girl that I had met last year. She had been afraid of clowns until she met me. Apparently I didn't do a very good job, because she was afraid of getting a picture with me this time! She was fine just talking with me though.

We had another small crowd for the second show, but I was in a much better mood even though it was freaking cold outside!

Ryan and I tried out a new bit in the jukebox gag, which got a laugh, so that improved my mood even more.

We had a delicious BBQ inside Casey and Natalie's trailer tonight. When we were done eating we started watching "The Hangover". It was a perfect ending to the day.


On Thursday, I still couldn't get my sewage tank to empty; I am going to have the RV guy, who is coming to the lot tomorrow, look at it.

Mr. Fusco held a tap dancing class for me and Ryan this morning so we can put a nice dance at the end of the table act.

Nikki and I went over to the shopping center next to the lot to have sushi for lunch, and a little later I ventured back over to go to Barnes & Noble and Game Stop. Tatiana gave me a $50 gift card for B & N that I have been dying to use, but this store didn't carry a single one of the books I am looking for.
I did make a purchase at Game Stop: Lego Indiana Jones. I got it for Jessi to play, since she is a big fan of the Lego games.

Back at the lot Ryan and I glued our wooden ladder back together and I put a new battery in the gun (Duracell: The Preferred Battery of the Kelly Miller Clown Alley).

We had a decent sized crowd for the first show, but boy were they dead! The second show's crowd was bigger and had a lot more energy.

After the shows Jessi, Carla, and I watched a DVD that Nikki had made us of the Lennon Bros. Circus 2009 show. That is the Australian circus that the twins were on last year.


On Friday Ryan and I started our day off with another bright and early Fusco dance rehearsal. We are picking things up very quickly and have even put together a little trial routine.
I bashed my left knee when I messed up my footing on a manuever where we run up to the table, jump, and push off with one foot. I must have bruised a bone, because it was bothering me for the rest of the day.

The RV guy showed up today. I told him about all of the things I needed done to the trailer (chiefly my tank problem), and he gave me some solutions.

At 1:00 p.m. we took the 2010 Kelly Miller company photo, which didn't take long at all. I got cleaned up afterwards and went with Nikki to get coffee.

Jessi was out doing laundry today, so I walked to the laundromat so I could borrow her car. I drove to Home Depot to get what I needed for my tank, and then I went back by the laundromat just in time to help Jessi fold the last of our clothes and take them back to the lot.

We almost had a full house for the first show. I was limping a bit due to my bruised bone, but it got better as the night progressed.

David Dunn, a blog reader and fan who I met last year, came to the second show with his family and another blog reader/fan, Tejano.
David's son, Jonathan's, 6th birthday is tomorrow, so I got them tickets for the show. They got to see us with our first packed house of the season.

March 1-Mercedes, TX
March 2-Rio Hondo, TX
March 3-Lyford, TX

3 comments:

Crystal said...

After the entire post all I really got out of it was that you found the Taschen book for 20 dollars. Jealous.Oh and I guess I can't wait to see yall when the show is closer. =)

klsdad said...

To: Crystal Ball..

"---all I really got out of it was.."....

Sad for you!!

(Steve and Ryan...... know that every nuance of your experiences means so much to me!!)

High rubber waders to you!!

klsdad

Freelance Dork said...

The Taschen book for $20? THAT'S a lot better than the $150. I wish could've gotten my request in to you guys in time. What a steal!