Monday, April 26, 2010

April 22-23: Carlyle, IL & Sparta, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

On Thursday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 41 mile jump to Carlyle. We were playing on a nice, grassy lot.

I had lunch with Jessi and the twins at a bistro in town; I ordered frog legs for the first time. I was very "hoppy" that I liked them.
Ah hahahahahahahahah! Get it!? Hoppy instead of happy! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Because they are FROG LEGS!!!! HHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

We had an almost full first show. When the show girls were running into the ring at the end of the hula hoop act, Jessi tripped and fell, causing a three girl pile up in the ring.
Darned laugh stealing show girls....

Casey helped me with battery issues that I was having. My trailer batteries weren't charging during the day, so when the power would go out, I wouldn't have lights or water.
I cleaned the connections this morning, which solved the problem, I just didn't connect the wires back well enough.

It started to drizzle before the second show, which was 3/4 full. When tear down was underway the rain started to come down harder.

We had a BBQ with our visitor, Vincent, who is a circus fan from Switzerland.


On Friday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 57 mile jump to Sparta. We were showing on a gravel lot and it was an overcast day.

Ryan and I made squibs while watching my 2001 Moosecamp graduation show...the howwah...the howwah....

Since we were near civilization, I walked around town and got a hair cut and then grabbed some lunch at a Chinese buffet.

Ryan and Tatiana bought my ducks a plastic swimming pool so they can have more room to swim around.

We had an average sized crowd at the first show. In the opening, Ryan asked me, "Where are we, Steve?", to which I replied, "THIS IS SPARTA!" (like in the movie "300")
This was met with indifference both shows....a bad omen for the rest of the performance.

I just wasn't "there" for the first show. It was humid, I was tired, and we weren't getting any energy from the crowd.

We had a decent sized crowd for the second show. It started raining and severe storms were predicted, so the second half of the show was cut down.

Casey, Natalie, and I went to a bar right next to the lot to check out the night life of Sparta. We were served our (terrible) drinks in little plastic cups, and when Casey bought my drink for me, the bartender (in his 40s), bumped knuckles with both of us.
The music playing was way too loud for us to carry on a conversation with one another, and the clientele was best summed up by one man wearing a t-shirt that read "Titties And Beer", so we didn't stay for very long.

April 28-Arthur, IL
April 29-Palestine, IL
April 30-Mt. Carmel, IL

2 comments:

Josh said...

hoppy? I don't get it.

ROD PRINGLE said...

Hey Steve:

I once went into a resturant and asked the waitress if she had frog legs. She looked down at her legs and said " I DON'T THINK SO" hahaha I fell off my chair laughing.

ROD