Friday, April 30, 2010

April 26-28: Flora, IL, Windsor, IL & Arthur, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

On Monday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 59 mile jump to Flora. Almost everyone on the show blew the arrows and ended up miles outside of town.
Luckily I was able to find the lot on my phone's GPS and arrived there after venturing down a hilly, one lane road.

The route slip warned us that the lot was very muddy; honestly I didn't think it was bad at all (especially after the horror known as Brownsville 2010), but I did get stuck while backing up into my parking spot.
Leslie and Casey helped pull me back a bit so I could jackknife my truck and get at least one of the back doors open. There was no way I was going to unhook to unload the props!

I took Radar and the twins into town so we could do laundry. We found a place that was deserted, and after awhile we found out why that was.
We each must have spent about five or six dollars on the dryers; they were horrible, and most of my stuff I brought home still moist.

In the afternoon Ryan and I rewrote the jukebox gag and the ending of the table act. We couldn't get the changes in today since we didn't have time to rehearse with Vicky and the new music cues.

Despite all the headaches of this morning, it was a good day for circus business. Both shows were full.


On Tuesday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 59 mile jump to Windsor. We were playing on a very soft lot; there was no mud, but a few people got stuck...including me.
It was a sunny day, but there was a chill on the air.

Ryan and I watched the movie "Bedknobs & Broomsticks" and then we rehearsed the changes to the jukebox and table gags with Vicky in the tent.

We had a decent sized first crowd, and our changes went well. We completely rewrote the jukebox gag, since it wasn't nearly as funny as we thought it was when we wrote it in WQ. We were tired of blank stares and no laughs from the audience, so we wrote in some of what we do best....beating the snot out of each other!
Also, we are doing the gag as our soda jerk characters, which means we no longer have a quick change from the jukebox gag to the table act. Score!

The change to the table act was a simple one. We just made it so Tatiana wins at the end; we should have done it ages ago.

The 2010 Kelly Miller programs came out today. On the cover is America's favorite comedy team: "Steve &....Cathy Poema"????



I got endless mileage out of this and made sure to give Ryan a hard time whenever I could.
In the second opening, I said my usual line of, "You may have heard of us...we're kind of a big deal."
Ryan replied, "Well, one of us is."

When I notified Casey, he was quick to jump in on the fun of bruising Ryan's ego. With friends like this......

We had another decent sized crowd for the second show. They left the generator on all night after tear down since it was so cold.


On Wednesday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 24 mile jump to Arthur. We were on a grass lot right by the major road in town, and it was a sunny day.

I walked to an Amish coffee shop that the girls told me about, and later in the afternoon I had lunch at an Amish buffet. Delicious!

We had a decent sized crowd at the first show and a full second show. When we were doing the exterminator gag in the second performance, Ryan climbed the ladder to the beehive like usual.
He slipped his hand into the hand loop like usual. I threw the bomb at him, knocking him off the ladder like usual.
Ryan dropped to the ground, and just as he was going to bounce back up via the bungee coming out of the beehive, the bungees snapped.....
That was unusual!

We improvised an ending to the gag and got through it. I'm sure the audience was confused though.
All I could do was kick myself for not ordering back up bungee sooner. At least Ryan was unscathed by the incident.

May 1-Linton, IN
May 2-Spencer, IN
May 3-Clinton, IN
May 4-Cayuga, IN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Ryan is o.k. Sounds like you guys are busier than ever tweeking your gags. Pammy nad I thought your gags were great so I wish we could see them again with the changes you've made since you played Pleasanton, Texas. We recently the best adaptation of Hamlet called "Strange Brew" starring Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas. I think the Bard would be proud. Take care.

Alberto Ramirez Jr.