Wednesday, April 7, 2010

April 3-4: Greenwood, AR and Ozark, AR-2:00 p.m. & 5:30 p.m. and Day Off

On Saturday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 33 mile jump to Greenwood. It was an overcast, foggy morning, but the radio promised sunny weather. We got it later in the morning.

We were playing on a grass lot that was soft. Casey's trailer got stuck going in one of the gates and ended up just staying there.

Ryan and I cleaned off our props, but we weren't too thorough; we knew they were just going to get dirty again today.

Becky Raborn came to visit with her son today. I was happy to see her again, but I was disappointed that she didn't see me doing my best.
Neither crowd was very lively, although we had decent sized houses. The ring mat was wet again, which got our costumes and props filthy, and the gags were just off.
With all of these combined factors, my heart just wasn't in it today.

We had a BBQ after the shows, which Becky visited for a short while before heading home.


On Sunday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 55 mile jump to Ozark. The fairgrounds that we were going to show on tomorrow had soft, wet ground, so everyone was located on a parking lot just down the road. The plan was to let everything dry out today before we pull on.

We had the day off today because of Easter Sunday, and everyone was excited about the Kelly Miller Easter Bonnet competition.
My bonnet was a modified idea of Ryan's. I made a little cardboard platform with Easter grass and half a chocolate bunny on top. I held the other half of the chocolate bunny in my hand with a big chunk bitten out of the ears.
As a final touch I smeared chocolate all over my mouth. Whenever people saw me, I simply explained, "I got hungry."



During the judging, the sun proved too much for the contents of my bonnet, and all the chocolate was reduced to a gooey mess.
To make matters worse, my "hat" tilted down into my face, dumping melted chocolate everywhere, including into my hair and on my digital camera.

I went back to my trailer to clean up; on my way back I grabbed an impromptu second bonnet: a cardboard box with eye holes and a hastily scribbled "Easter Rules" message.



Luckily my chicanery paid off and I was awarded second place in the "Funniest" category. First place went to Johnny Moss for his "Sniper Bunny" hat.
Vickie won first place in the "Most Beautiful" category for her flower bonnet, and Mariana Poema won first place in the "Most Creative" category for her Easter themed replica of the Kelly Miller Circus in bonnet form.




(photos courtesy of Vickie Straeffer)

Right after the bonnet contest was the Easter Egg hunt for the children, and at 2:00 p.m. everyone was treated to a buffet lunch.


Before I forget, here is your weekly duck growth report:




2 comments:

crystal said...

Yay for ducky updates =)...and nice hats! =)

Susabelle said...

Sweet!