Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 17-19: Mechanicsburg, OH & Columbus, OH-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

On Monday we had a 5:30 a.m. call for our 80 mile jump to Mechanicsburg; I kept wanting to fall asleep the entire drive.

The weather was overcast and it was misting rain all day. All the trailers were parked on grass, and the tent was on sand and rocks.

We had a good sized first crowd; there was a lot of standing water in the back door that everyone had to get around.
I made a conscious effort to make more eye contact with the audience today; it was one of the notes Nellie Poema gave me and Ryan last night after she watched some of the show.

Mr. North wants us to change our jukebox gag back to the way we had it at the start of the season. Once I heard the reasoning, I totally understood why.
Our current rewrite has the jukebox almost as an afterthought, whereas the original version really set up the jukebox and the 50's theme.
Ryan and I started brainstorming ideas on how to make a third version of the gag that would be like the first, only funnier.

We had an average sized crowd for the second show. Ryan and I kept each other amused by doing Mickey Mouse and Goofy voices during the exterminator gag.


I was up all Monday night being sick. My guess was that I had food poisoning; I had it on Ringling my first year and this was just like that...awful!
I got very little sleep and was already up when it was time to leave town at 6:00 a.m.
Luckily we only had a 33 mile jump, and my stomach had calmed down a lot.

We were playing on pavement at the run down Westland Mall. It was an overcast day.

I slept all morning until Dustin and Brandon, clowns from Ringling's Red Unit, called me. The Red Show finished up their engagement in Columbus on Sunday, and had started a two week break. Dustin and Brandon came to visit and see the show.

Ryan and I went across the street to eat with them, but I didn't partake of anything; I was still very skittish about my stomach.

We had an average sized crowd for the first show. I had very little energy since I hadn't eaten anything all day, so I ate some Cheerios and a little bit of the cookhouse dinner.
Thankfully everything stayed down.

We had a good sized crowd for the second show; I wish Dustin and Brandon could have seen us in front of this audience instead of the first one.
We did have a laugh when no one clapped for us in finale, though. It was a predominately Latino audience, and they didn't understand John when he announced our final style.
That, or they hated us!

I wasn't going to go out tonight for Casey's birthday, but everyone talked me into it. My stomach felt fine, but I was wiped out.
We made a couple of stops around Columbus and finished up with White Castle. I knew my stomach was ok when a couple of sliders didn't make me puke!
I had a good time out, but I crashed as soon as we got home.


On Wednesday I slept in very late. I was going to walk to a laundromat near the mall, but it was raining when I finally woke up.

Sarah, a friend I met on Ringling, came to visit today. We went out to eat, and then we went to a good mall several miles from the lot.

Sarah watched the first show, which had another average sized crowd. The second show was completely full; I wish more people would have decided to come to the afternoon shows!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey guys how goes it ? well I have to agree with north on this. the one of the many things I liked about this gag was the seamless transition and that whole point of it. this is not easy to do...a lot of transitions-scene set ups seem forced, but when I saw it, it was perfect. The best advice I have ever got was "be obejective , put you head in the audience not in the gag." of course i believe in improving on stuff constantly but some times I can go over board. well icould talk about clowning all day!!
one more thing: food poisoning on the road SUCKS on many levels. hope your okay. love your blog.
Pam Ramirez