Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 20-21: Lexington, OH & Millersburg, OH-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

On Thursday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 69 mile jump to Lexington. We were playing on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.

I was able to drive off the lot today, so Carla and I went to do laundry and go grocery shopping.

We had an average sized audience for the first show; the crowd was dead, so it was very hard to give it my all.
The second show was better, 3/4 full.

Rich Deptula and Doug Kruest came to visit today, and I got to talk to both of them for a little bit.

At the end of the second show an older woman called me over to meet her grandchildren. She was telling me how much they enjoyed us and then whispered in my ear that they had just lost their baby brother.
The whole realization that we had helped the kids forget their sadness for two hours really put everything into perspective for me.


On Friday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 40 mile jump to Millersburg. The drive was a pain; very hilly and curvy.

We were playing on a grass lot and it was an overcast day. I was parked very close to Raul, so getting our props out of the truck was rather difficult.

There was a circus yard sale in the cookhouse at noon. I stopped by right at the beginning to peruse the wares; I was told later that I should have stuck around since more people brought things in later on.

Ryan was feeling sick today, so he was taking it easy in the shows. The first performance was almost full, and the second show was full. All this despite the rain that started in the afternoon.

David Powell and his children came to the second show, so I spoke to them briefly afterwards. David's father, Ron, had stopped by earlier in the week for a short visit.

At the BBQ tonight we saw some runaway sheep from a nearby barn. I thought about catching one, but I didn't think it would fit in the crate with the ducks.

May 25-Waynesburg, PA
May 26-McHenry, MD
May 27-Midland, MD

2 comments:

Mim said...

Two Words -- Fainting Goats

Elizabeth said...

I love your story about the grandmother. It's true - going to the circus really does make you forget everything else for a while. You never know the affect you're going to have on people. Nice work.