Friday, May 7, 2010

May 3-5: Clinton, IN, Cayuga, IN, & Pittsboro, IN-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

On Monday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 52 mile jump to Clinton. I would have left the lot sooner than I did, but I was stupid and drove right through the softest ground and got stuck, along with all the big show trucks.
On top of that, the Bobcat for hauling vehicles off the lot wouldn't start. Finally the mechanics got it running, pulled me out of the mud, and I was on my way.

We were playing on a grass lot and it was a sunny day. I had our new bungees sent general delivery to Clinton, so Jessi gave me a ride so I could pick them up; the lady behind the counter told me that there wasn't a package for me.
I checked back at the lot to see if anyone had picked it up for me, but I had no luck. I called the company where I ordered the bungee and had them track the package.

Ryan and I made squibs while watching some episodes of "Da Ali G Show" until I got a call from the bungee company.
They told me that the package had been delivered in the morning and a lady with the last name of Butz had signed for it.

I drove back to the post office and inquired as to the whereabouts of Miss Butz and my package. I was told that Miss Butz was at lunch and they would call me when she got back in.

I waited patiently at the lot until it was almost show time before finally calling the post office to see what was up.
I talked to Miss Butz, and after a search of the back room (which the employees neglected to look in the first two times I inquired about my package), they found the bungee. It had been there ALL DAY.

We had a good sized crowd for the first show. Nasty looking clouds started rolling in around Intermission, so I went ahead and hooked up my truck to my trailer to avoid getting stuck on the soft ground in case it did rain.

We had another good sized crowd for the second show; a storm was headed right for us, and there was talk of having the audience leave the tent at Intermission and come back in after the high winds passed, but everything missed us and the second half carried on.


On Tuesday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 25 mile jump to Cayuga. Once again this morning I had to be pulled off the lot.

We were playing on a grass lot in town, and it was a beautiful day. I took a long nap to catch up on my sleep; I must have needed it, because I was out cold for almost four hours.

Ryan and I put the new bungees in the beehive and measured how high we needed to hang it in the tent. We got shorter bungees, so the beehive was a lot lower.

I helped Ryan and Tatiana make meatballs, and then I was there to welcome the Fusco family as they returned from their time doing Shrine dates.

We had an average sized crowd for the first show. The end of the exterminator gag was a disaster; things were malfunctioning left and right, and we realized that the beehive was way too low, which made the whole ending look stupid.
On top of all that, the audience's reaction (or lack thereof) made Ryan and I lose faith in ourselves and question the decisions we have made in our lives (we like to be dramatic).

Luckily we had a bigger crowd for the second show, about 3/4 full, and everything went much better. Our faith in ourselves and humanity was restored as well.


On Wednesday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 71 mile jump to Pittsboro. One road we took, Highway 32, was a real pain. It seemed like there would be no end to the sharp turns and curves.
I was stressed because I almost ran out of fuel, but luckily I found a gas station just as I was considering getting out and pushing my rig down the road.

We were playing on a grass lot and it was a sunny day. Johnny Moss' birthday party was held in the cookhouse today. Reyna made delicious food for the occasion.

Ryan and I looped the bungee today so that we could make it longer and have the beehive hung high in the tent like before.
While we were testing the height I gave the bungee a try; I didn't fall all the way, but I still decided that daredevilry is not for me!

We had an almost full first show, but that isn't a completely accurate figure, since we are short a seat wagon. An axle was broken on one when the driver hit a tree this morning.

John Hill, a clown that Jessi and I both worked with in the past, came to visit today. He brought a free roll of water and Gatorade.

Ryan and I tried some new bits at the beginning of the exterminator gag; we need to iron some kinks out and try them in front of a few different crowds before we can pass proper judgement.

We had an average sized second crowd. There was a storm heading our way, but it ended up missing us.
Still, everyone had to move off the lot in case it did rain; the town didn't want us messing up the nice park we were showing on.

We had a BBQ with our friend John in attendance. It was nice to catch up with him; the last time I had seen him was three years ago.

May 8-Kokomo, IN
May 9-Day Off
May 10-Rushville, IN

1 comment:

No Thyme to Lose said...

I was SURE you were going to say the package was delivered to Seymour Butz.