Saturday, June 12, 2010

June 7-9:Bridgeton, NJ, Egg Harbor, NJ, & Pemberton, NJ-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

On Monday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 20 mile jump to Bridgeton. We were on a grass lot and it was a beautiful day; the humidity was gone!

We had a rehearsal with Delena for the table act, and we decided that she was ready to go in the show.
Afterwards Ryan and I walked over to the Dutch Neck Village next to the lot to peruse the shops.

We had a 3/4 full first show. The table act went well with Delena, except at the end I got a bloody nose.
Delena wasn't sure of the timing when she clonked our heads together, so Ryan and I were moving at different speeds.
My nose connected with Ryan's shoulder, and the rest is history! Luckily it wasn't too bad and I got it cleaned up easily.

It was so nice to finish the show and not be drenched in sweat! Humidity is a real drag.
Our clown friends, Chris Shelton and Keith Crabbs, came to see the second show. More people showed up than for the first performance, and they were a great audience.

Chris and Keith took Ryan and I out to eat once we were done working. Thanks to a last minute U-Turn and a metal sign post hidden by the curb we jumped, Keith's car got a slashed tire.
Before we went in to the bar to eat and imbibe, we took the flat off and put on Keith's spare.

While we were working, Ryan was standing close to the car next to us. A drunk came out and told us to get off his f***ing car. His wife then reiterated the sentiment in a very stuck up manner.
The truth is none of us were touching his car; even if we were, it wasn't THAT nice of a vehicle.

I was caught off guard by the man's anger and aggression, AND I am a coward, so I said we were sorry.
As he was checking for any damage we might have done, he threatened, "There is no f***ing sorry!"

Finally he decided he had belittled us enough in front of his ugly wife, so he started to get in his car.
He made one more smart ass comment along the lines of, "You better be sorry that you touched my f***ing car."
I, with my tail between my legs, answered, "Yes sir."
Ryan, who had enough answered, "That's f***ing right!"

The man stopped getting into his car and said, "What did you say?"
Ryan replied, "I said, 'That's f***ing right!'"
The man was caught off guard by Ryan's brazenness, so he got in the car and the miserable couple drove off.

Once they were gone, I had enough courage to say, "He must be the mayor of this fine city!"
I was so ashamed of myself for being such a chicken in front of my friends; it never crossed my mind (or the drunk man's apparently) that there were four of us, and we had a tire iron and a hubcap at our disposal!

Luckily the event didn't spoil our evening and we all had a great time sharing stories, laughing, eating, and drinking.


On Tuesday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 28 mile jump to Egg Harbor, NJ. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.

Ryan and I watched the hilarious movie, "Noises Off", while we made squibs this morning. (Not too long someone asked me what squibs are. They are the explosives we use for the double barreled shot gun prop in the exterminator gag)
When we were done we walked up the road to the little ice cream place that we visited last year.

Miguel Llavat, a clown friend that we met last year, his wife, and his pastor came to the lot this afternoon and treated me, Ryan, Tatiana, Armando, and his family to a delicious homemade lunch.
It was so nice of them to be so generous; we all had a good time sitting outside, eating, and talking.

We had a small crowd for the first show, and an average sized crowd for the second show; they were a much better audience too. I'm glad Miguel and his church group caught that show.


On Wednesday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 46 mile jump to Pemberton. We were on a grass lot and it was an overcast, cool day.

I caught up on my sleep this morning, and when I got up I took advantage of being able to drive off the lot.
I went to a laundromat and got a ton of clothes cleaned.

While I was at the laundromat it started to rain, and it continued on and off for the rest of the day.

Both shows were almost full. Ryan and I made changes to the exterminator gag that seemed to go well.

The fire marshal in this town was very strict, so there was no fire breathing act in the show and we couldn't use squibs in the exterminator gag.

Dan McCallum, a former Ringling clown, came to the second show. He and Carolyn Rice worked together on the Blue Unit back in 1989 and 1990.
He got to see us work in front of a great audience, which was a plus. Unfortunately it was an off show for me.

June 15-Washingtonville, NY
June 16-Brewster, NY
June 17-Cortlandt Manor, NY

3 comments:

Tejano said...

Don't think of yourself as a chicken...

There are far too many idiots out there like the drunk..you don't really know what they are carrying nowadays...a knife, a gun...

one gun equals six people (us Texans think six shooters you know)...

Better to back off...you are never going to win with a drunk idiot

Anonymous said...

We used squibs a lot in 1994 but we never used them the last time I was on the Red unit in 2001. There were a few gags that year that would have benefited from too. Things change quick in just a few years. That's life I guess.

Alberto Ramirez Jr.

David Carlyon said...

Well, fudge noodles! Pardon my French, but I just checked the schedule and this week you're going to be in Brewster, where I could see you. But I can't see you. I've got rehearsal for THE TEMPEST in Central Park. (I'll also miss your stand at Round Heels School Grounds: THAT sounds interesting.) Have fun. David Carlyon, Ringling Blue 77-78, Blue "Advance Clown Ambassador" 79