Wednesday, June 2, 2010

May 28-29: Mt. Savage, MD & Hancock, MD-5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. & 2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

On Friday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 20 mile jump to Mt. Savage. The last leg of the trip was a real pain; there was a steep hill and sharp curves on a narrow road.

It was a sunny day and we were playing on a grass lot. A little later in the morning we rehearsed the table gag with Delena. She knows the act now, all we have to do is iron out the timing and she will be set.

Around 3:00 p.m. there was an awful storm that just blew in out of nowhere. There was wind, rain, thunder, lightning, and even hail! At one point the hail was coming down so hard that I couldn't even hear my TV over the din.

The shows today were at 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., maybe to attract more of a crowd. It didn't really work....
There were about thirty people at the first show, and though the second show was better attended, it was still a small crowd.

The worst part of the evening was that the ring mat got absolutely filthy. The storm left lots of standing water on the ground, which got tracked onto the ring mat. The backdoor and inside of the tent also got turned into mud by the animal and performer foot traffic.

This is what Ryan and I looked like after the table act:

Our motto for the evening was, "We've made all the right decisions in life!"

We were all pulled off the lot tonight via tractor to the solid ground alongside the lot.

On Saturday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 56 mile jump to Hancock. On the drive I could feel my truck pulling to the right (especially on turns), but I chose to ignore it.
Big mistake!

We were playing on a grass lot and it was a sunny day. Ryan and I gave all of our props a thorough cleaning, and then we walked to the laundromat to wash all of our muddy costumes.

Last year we went fishing in the little creek by the lot; this year we did the same, but we had more success.
Ryan ended up catching two fish:

We released them back into the water once they had their photographs taken.
We attributed our success this year to better equipment. Instead of tree branches we were using the metal poles used for raising and lowering Ryan's RV awning, and we used live bait.

The first show today was 3/4 full. Ice cream and cake was served by the Barry Lubin/Adam Forepaugh Tent in the cookhouse during lunch. David Orr also brought some cracked corn for my ducks.

Pat Stevenson, a member of the Free State Clown Alley #30, was at the show with her family; she brought us some goodies.

Ryan and I went fishing again between shows. Ryan caught two more fish; all I caught were worms....

....and the night crawlers that I had on my hook.

The second show was almost full; I felt horrible from the extreme heat outside and in the tent. I couldn't even find relief in my stuffy trailer; although I drank as much water as possible, I still got dehydrated. Time to get some Gatorade.

Aaron rented out the pool next to the lot and a lot of us from the show went over to swim. I wasn't going to go at first, but my friends talked me into it. It was a lot of fun and the water was so refreshing!

As I was hooking up to my trailer, I noticed that the front tires on the truck were leaning inward.
I had Castro take a look at it, and he told me that my tire rods were bent. That explained why I could feel the truck drifting in the morning.
It was too late for him to do any repairs, so he just told me to take it easy on the morning jump and he would fix the problem in Olney.

June 4 and 5-Leola, PA
June 6-Woodstown, NJ

1 comment:

Misty said...

...and that's what a trip to Mt. Savage will do to you!!!