Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July 17-18: Southwood, NY & Cortland, NY-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. & 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.

On Saturday we had a 5:30 a.m. call for our 100 mile jump to Southwood. Just three miles from the lot there was a steep hill with arrows warning us to downgrade.
I decided to put my truck in 1st gear since the hill was so steep, but as I started down, I must have been going too fast for 1st gear to take hold.
I rocketed down the hill towards the stop light at the bottom. Just as I was approaching it, the light turned red.

I had been avoiding riding my breaks because I was going so fast, but the red light caused me to slam the pedal to the floor.
I slowed down right before the light, but just as I was going to stop, the brake pedal gave out and I rolled out into the intersection.
Thank God there was no one going through the light at that time!

As I continued on I realized that my brakes were totally gone. I pulled off the road and waited for the shop truck to get to me.
It took a long time because a) I was at the end of the jump b) since it was a long jump, everyone was spaced out and c) the generator truck wouldn't start this morning, causing a late start.

Finally Castro and Fridman arrived and checked everything out. A brake had line broken, and all of my other ones were rusted and in danger of breaking.
Castro and Fridman rode to the lot to get a couple of tools and then Castro did a quick fix on the brakes to get me the two miles to the lot. I arrived just before 11:00 a.m.

Everybody was parked and the tent was already up; I didn't think I would be able to get my trailer to the back yard, but Tavo backed me in around the tent.
After unloading our props and getting my power connected, I went to get something to eat. Near death experiences stir up quite an appetite!

It rained on and off all day. There was an average sized crowd for the first show and there were less people for the second show.
Castro rewired my brakes for me to prolong my life expectancy.

After the shows we had pizza with our visitors: Ben Trumble, his girlfriend, and a circus fan couple from the area who had been traveling with us for a few days.


On Sunday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 35 mile jump to Cortland. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.
We had good crowds for both shows. The start of the first show was held 30 minutes because Vicky's computer ate the show music!
Vicky had to work non stop from the beginning of the first show all the way through the second show to find all of the tracks from memory and then get them back in the proper playlist.
A couple of our cues were missing, but we just went along with it and the audience was none the wiser.

Photographer brothers Jason and Justin Senft were visiting today and they asked me to be in a photo shoot they did in between shows. They were recreating a shot taken in the 50's with a girl and two elephants.
I was playing the part of one of the elephants....



After the shows a big group of us went out to a pub and Mr. North was nice enough to treat us all to dinner.

July 29-Massillon, OH
July 30-Sagamore Hills, OH
July 31-Richfield, OH

1 comment:

crystal said...

You look absolutely fabulous Steve! Love it! You are a natural!