Wednesday, July 14, 2010

July 5-8: Copake, NY, Chatham, NY, Berlin, NY, Granville, NY-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

On Monday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 42 mile jump to Copake. We were playing on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.
I had breakfast at the Copake Diner, which I had enjoyed last year.
NY was experiencing a heat wave, so it was incredibly hot and humid today. I sweated like a fat kid on Easter just sitting in my trailer!

We had good business for the first show, despite the heat. A bee attacked me during the show; ironically it was during the exterminator gag when I was firing the shotgun at the beehive.

We had a decent sized crowd for the second show. Ryan went loopy from the heat and was an endless source of amusement both in the ring and backstage.


On Tuesday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 26 mile jump to Chatham, NY. We were on a grass lot and it was another sunny, incredibly hot and humid day.

Ryan and I drove a long way to find a Wal Mart that was open. Our trip was in vain though, since there was no fabric department at the store we found. We did pick up supplies we needed at the Lowe's next door.
Before going back to the lot, we explored downtown Chatham and went to the grocery store.

There was a small crowd for the first show. Stephanie Monseu from Bindelstiff Family Circus, and Dave Cox and Pat Ferri from the comedy duo, Those Two Guys, were in the audience and we all chatted for a bit afterwards.
There was a decent sized crowd for the second show, but it was an off show for me. I just couldn't do things to my satisfaction.


On Wednesday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 33 mile jump to Berlin. We were playing on a grass lot and it was another sunny, incredibly hot day.

Ryan and Tatiana left this morning to drive to Oklahoma City to deal with green card business.
Since I was solo clowning for five days, changes to the show obviously had to be made. I planned on doing opening and tiger chase by myself, doing a chair gag in place of the table act, and one walkaround instead of two (I opted to do Ryan's rabbit walkaround since it is the funnier of the two, and I wanted to do something different).
I offered a gag to replace the exterminator gag in the second half, but John Moss said that it wasn't necessary.

I had to make changes to some music for opening and walkarounds, and Vicky and I had a devil of a time getting the tracks from my computer to be readable on her computer. It was way too much hassle for a minute and a half of music changes!

There was a small crowd for the first show; it was roasting in the tent and the audience was not having fun.
I felt like a total failure after the chair gag and considered hanging up my red nose and getting a job at Wal Mart.
Not only did I die a comedic death, I nearly died from heat stroke (note to self, doing a chair gag as a 1950s greaser, complete with leather jacket, is NOT a good idea when in the middle of a heat wave).

Luckily we had a good crowd for the second show and I redeemed myself in all of the gags. I had a fan family sitting in the box seats that I played with the whole show.


On Thursday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 55 mile jump to Granville, NY. We were on a grass lot and it was ANOTHER sunny, incredibly hot day.

We did good business at the first show and the second show was almost full; the audience was great as well.
I have ironed out a lot of the kinks in the chair gag, and it was going very well today.

July 17-Southwood, NY
July 18-Cortland, NY
July 19-Travel Day

No comments: