Wednesday, August 25, 2010

August 14-15: Holly, MI & Flushing, MI-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. & 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.

On Saturday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 36 mile jump to Holly. We were on a grass lot and it was an overcast day.
I knew we were in for fun when a snake was found in the grass shortly after I was parked.

We had good business for both shows, even though it was humid. There was a lady in the front row during the first exterminator gag that was loudly exclaiming, "OH!" after every single bit in our gag.
Soon Ryan and I couldn't stop laughing, especially when we started saying it to each other every free chance we had.

There was a lady in the second show that I had been flirting with since the exterminator gag, and in finale I followed up on it by telling her to call me again.
She held up her hand and pointed to her wedding ring; undeterred, I motioned for her to throw the ring away and then call me.

After the shows a circus fan drove me, Casey, Radar, and Nikki to the Holly Hotel, site of Brawl Alley. Back in the late 1800s, when a circus was in town, a big fight broke out outside of the Hotel. Two towners were killed, and everyone involved in the fight, including most of the circus people, ended up going to jail.
(Side note: There was even more circus history revolving around Holly. James A. Bailey's brother, had a mansion in town)

We had appetizers and drinks at the swank Holly Hotel, and then we went next door to another bar where we discovered that they had karaoke.

I sang, "New York, New York" and "Bohemian Rhapsody", the latter on a $1 bet from Radar, and Radar popped his karaoke cherry by singing the Eagles' "Lyin' Eyes".
We were going to sing more, but the guy running the sound system was a tool and kept conveniently "losing" our song slips and letting the locals sing multiple songs in a row ahead of us.
That's ok; we will get to sing karaoke some other day; he'll always be a tool (especially with his stupid pony tail).

On Sunday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 27 mile jump to Flushing. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.
I found an awesome bakery up the street from the lot where I enjoyed a cup of coffee and a pastry before work.

We had an average sized crowd for the first show, and decent business for the second show.

There was a big BBQ after the shows because Tavana's mother and one of her sons were visiting.

August 26-Benton Harbor, MI
August 27-Edwardsburg, MI
August 28-Middlebury, IN

No comments: