Friday, August 20, 2010

August 9-13: Wixom, MI, Plymouth, MI, Redford, MI, Ypsilanti, MI, & Fowlerville, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

On Monday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 45 mile jump to Wixom. We were on a grass lot and it was an overcast day.
It rained a bit later in the morning, but it was very humid for the rest of the day.

Natalie's friend, Rick, was visiting us today; he brought us all kinds of goodies to enjoy.

We had a 3/4 full first show, and Ryan and I got good laughs for the exterminator gag. The second show was almost full, but response wise, the first crowd was better.

On Tuesday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 19 mile jump to Plymouth. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.
Ryan and I borrowed the show's van to go to Hobby Lobby; we bought fabric for gag costumes.

Plymouth had a great downtown, and I spent some time walking around and exploring during the afternoon.

Both shows were full; we made minor changes to the exterminator gag to enhance the flow of action.

Natalie's friend, Carol Thompson, visited today and brought us her delicious stuffed cabbage rolls to enjoy at the BBQ. She also brought us a game called "Sh*t Head", where the players wear skull caps equipped with velcro. They then throw pieces of "sh*t" at each other's velcro covered heads. Each area of the skull cap is marked with different points.
We had a lot of fun playing, although the game naturally degenerated into us pegging each other with faux feces.
I was sorry that I didn't get to thank Carol in person for the gifts.

On Wednesday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 11 mile jump to Redford. We were playing on a grass lot and it was an overcast day.

I helped Ryan latex some of our new props until two of my fans showed up. Emily and Elizabeth, self proclaimed "clown groupies", came to visit with me before the shows. They left during the first show and then came back to watch the second one.

The first show was 3/4 full. A little boy in the front row was wetting himself with a spray bottle when I was in front of him during the web number.
I got him to spray me in the mouth, and then under each arm pit. When I went to give him a high five, he sprayed me in my palm! It was a nice bit and got a good laugh from the folks sitting around him.

In the exterminator gag, when Ryan fell from the beehive, he was only able to get one hand through the loop at the end of the bungee. I noticed something was different as he was plummeting to the ground.
Luckily on his first bounce back up he was able to grab onto the loop with his other hand before he lost his grip.

The second show was almost full, and Ryan and I had a great performance. I'm glad it is a show that my "groupies" got to see.

On Thursday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 27 mile jump to Ypsilanti. We were on a grass lot and it was an overcast day. Did I mention we were in the ghetto?
Ypsilanti has a great downtown by the lot we usually play (it was apparently under water this year), and we actually weren't too far away, but I did not want to leave the lot.

We had an average sized house for the first show. It was difficult to work because of the humidity and the extremely uneven ground.

The table had been out in the rain this morning, so Ryan had put some baby powder on it before the show to ensure its slickness. He did a good job...maybe TOO good a job.
We were all about to kill ourselves on the treacherous table top; anything that happened on top of the table was slowed down considerably. Despite that, Ryan ended up busting his butt twice.

We had an almost full second show. Some cops around the lot told folks that we were stupid for staying after the shows. Their advice was to get out. Since that wasn't in the cards, their next best advice was to lock everything up and not leave the lot.

Armed with this knowledge, I went into finale, and during our final style, I implored the cheering crowd, "Please don't rob us tonight!"

The America's Own crew had our regular BBQ; Casey wasn't about to let a little danger ruin our fun.
As we were packing it in for the night, I went into my trailer and locked the door behind me. No sooner had I done that than I heard a gunshot. Heroically I threw myself on the floor and considered staying there until the morning.
Finally I decided that it was safe to get up, and after making peace with all of my loved ones, I went to sleep.

On Friday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 47 mile jump to Fowlerville. Many of us were extremely happy that there was a dump station at the lot.
We were also very happy that no one was killed and nothing was stolen during the night. Well, nothing was stolen except for a few duck eggs out of my kennel. The "yolk" was on the thieves though, those eggs must have been way past rotten anyway!

We were playing on a grass lot and it was a sunny day. My self proclaimed "clown groupies", Emily and Elizabeth, came back to visit again, and they brought their friend, Kitleigh.
We all went out to lunch, and then they were nice enough to take me to Wal Mart and a book store at the outlet mall.

It was another excruciatingly humid day. Despite that, we did good business for the first show and we had an almost full second show.

August 21-Mancelona, MI
August 22-Mesick, MI
August 23-Howard City, MI


Sahkmet said...

I feel awesome I'm mentioned in your blog. :D

P.S. Its me Elizabeth.

May all your clowning be grand!

Crystal said...

Glad that the eggs were they only things stolen!

Stay safe!