Thursday, August 5, 2010

July 26-30: Willowick, OH, Kinsman, OH, Windham, OH, Massillon, OH, & Sagamore Hills, OH-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

On Monday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 30 mile jump to Willowick. We were playing on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.
After unloading our props, I was jonesing for a cup of coffee and a danish, so I walked to the coffee shop near the lot...only to find that it was closed on Mondays. Lame!

We got a surprise visit from some clown friends today: Joey, Jamie, and Tyler Thurmond as well as Adam Rakestraw, of Nojoe's Clown Circus, and Jeffery and Zach Potts. Jeff helped us make our beehive prop for this year.

(photo courtesy of the Thurmonds)
(photo courtesy of Jeff Potts)

They took us to the magic shop in town, and then we went down to Lake Eerie where I attempted to learn to skip stones.
Not having much luck at that, I decided to blame the Canadians across the lake.


We had an almost full first show and a full second show. Those crowds plus our friends visiting made for a good day.


On Tuesday we had a 5:30 a.m. call for our 85 mile jump to Kinsman. We were playing on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.

I needed to do laundry, and of course the laundromat just down the street had been closed since December, so I had to drive 12 miles away to wash my clothes.

Back at the lot everyone in the web act had a rehearsal. We web setters were done after one run through, so Ryan and I went to check out the huge book/general store in downtown.
I couldn't believe the amount of books the owner had accumulated; after awhile I had to stop looking to avoid a headache.

We had a decent sized crowd for the first show. As we were setting the rigging for the exterminator gag I noticed that the bungee that runs through the beehive had come unattached; I prevented Ryan's untimely death by hooking it back to the crane bar.

We had a full second show. Jimmy and Teppa Hall came for a visit; I was waiting to hear what we were doing wrong from Jimmy and was very surprised that he had nothing negative to say.


On Wednesday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 33 mile jump to Windham. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.
The front wheels of the exterminator cart have been broken for a few days, and when we asked Casey to fix the welding this morning he informed us that it was past repair.

I drove 17 miles away to a TSC so I could buy a replacement cart. When I got there I had bad cell service and my phone's battery was about to die.
Since I needed to conserve battery life to use my GPS to get back to Windham, and since I couldn't get ahold of Ryan for measurements, I ended up buying a cart that was too small!
I was not a happy camper when I returned to the lot.
At least while I was out I got a slow leak in one of my truck tires plugged.

We had good attendance for the first show. It was incredibly humid outside, so it really wasn't a surprise that it stormed at the start of the second show, which was almost full.


On Thursday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 66 mile jump to Massillon. We were playing on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.

I had breakfast with Dale Smith, aka Herky the Clown, and his family. Herky was a clown on Kelly Miller in 1988 and helps promote the show when it is in town.

Circus model builder, Tom Persell, gave me, Herky, and another circus model builder, Wylie Irwin, a ride to a circus exhibit on display at the Massillon Museum. There were dioramas of an Australian circus, circus pictures and artwork, and even a model circus.
After that Wylie gave me and Herky a ride to TSC so I could return the cart that I bought yesterday and get the correct size.
Radar was nice enough to help me and Ryan assemble it once we got back to the lot.

Jeff Potts and his sons, Josh and Zach, came to visit and hang out before the shows. Jeff even helped Ryan in the latexing of one of our new props.

Both shows today were almost full. David Powell came by to visit and brought me and Ryan an apple pie.
Herky was around doing meet and greet inside and outside the tent during both shows, so I visited with him whenever I could.
Jeff Potts also hung out all day, and he had dinner with me, Ryan, and Tatiana after the shows.


On Friday we had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 46 mile jump to Sagamore Hills. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.

I was bushed from my busy day yesterday, so I ended up sleeping into the afternoon.

We had an almost full first show. There was a couple sitting in the front row talking to each other the entire performance. I couldn't help focusing on them whenever I was in the ring, and it frustrated me so much that it ruined the show for me.
Luckily we had a full second show and circus fan, Doug Kreust, was nice enough to visit and bring the everyone ice cream!

August 11-Redford, MI
August 12-Ypsilanti, MI
August 13-Fowlerville, MI

3 comments:

ROD PRINGLE said...

Hi Steve:

I will meet you in Fowlerville tomorrow Aug 13. I have some old circus books for you! What time is good for you ?

See you then!

Calliope Rod

Steve Copeland said...

Hey Rod,

Send me an e-mail at stclown@lowcountry.com

Radar said...

That's right you say thank you! You ungrateful, sorry, sunuvabitbyaduck!
No problem buddy. Though it might have been more entertaining to watch your struggle with it using sticks like chimpanzees.