Tuesday, September 14, 2010

August 27-September 03

Friday, August 27: Edwardsburg, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

On Friday we had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 40 mile jump to Edwardsburg, MI. We were on a grass and dirt lot, and it was a sunny day.


I went out to run errands today: I did laundry, I got my hair cut, and I bought a used video game.

When I got back to the lot I spent the rest of my free time cleaning my trailer; all in all I had a very productive day.


We had good business for the first show. Ryan switched out the bungee in the beehive prop, since the old bungee was starting to fray.

Unfortunately the company where we buy bungee sent us the wrong length, something we didn't discover until show time.


When Ryan dropped from the top of the tent, he just hung 3 feet below the beehive, because the bungee was WAY too short!

Luckily I thought quickly, got the ladder under Ryan, and then grabbed the shotgun to end the gag.

Shooting a gun didn't exactly make sense in that scenario, but I had to have a way for everyone to know that we were ending the gag.


We took the bee gag out of the second show until we could recalculate the height at which the beehive has to be hung.


We had an almost full second show. To shake up the monotony a bit, Ryan and I switched costumes for finale.

The cast could tell something was different, but it took them a few moments to realize what it was.




Saturday, August 28: Middlebury, IN-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 36 mile jump to Middlebury, IN. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.


While the tent was being set up Ryan and I hung the beehive rigging so we could figure out how high it needed to be with the shorter bungee.

Unfortunately the only way we could make it work was to tie the bungees together, which wasn't nearly strong enough to hold Ryan's weight safely.

We decided to revert to the back up bee gag ending until I can get new bungee to us.


Today was a sad day over at the Cainan household. Natalie's dog, Chelsea, and Casey's young tiger, Rajah, both had to be put down.


We had an almost full first show; right before the table act the music died. We did the act without music, we just carried on a dialogue with each other and the audience to keep the energy up.

The crowd went nuts over it! It was so nice getting huge laughs.


After we were done with the table, the music problem was fixed.


Since we have to wait for our new bungee to arrive in the mail, we did the back up blow off of the bee gag where I shoot the beehive down and it lands on Ryan.

Everything went off without a hitch.


We had a full second show; we had Vicky lower the music for the gags since we got such positive responses the previous show.

The audiences today were very responsive considering a) it was an afternoon show on a weekend and b) the audience was mostly Amish.

I swear that Ryan and I have found our key demographic!


After the shows I jumped in my truck and drove to the nearest Gamestop. The video game I bought yesterday had the correct casing and sticker on the front of the disc, but it was the wrong game!

Luckily the store exchanged it for the correct disc with no problem.


When I got back to the lot I briefly stopped by the birthday party for Adrian Jr., aka "Gordo", before retiring to my trailer to play my new game.



Sunday, August 29: Bremen, IN-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 40 mile jump to Bremen. We were playing on a grass lot and it was a sunny day; it was also incredibly humid.


We had a decent sized crowd for the first show, but they were dead. There were less people at the second show, but they thought we were funny.


In the second table gag I didn't get enough height on my first slide across the table. My thighs hit the edge of the table, which stopped me. I had to drag myself off the other side.


After the shows I went for a walk to get something to eat. The lady serving me at the restaurant recognized me from the show. She said that even though I was out of makeup she could recognize my face. And she was sitting in the top row of the bleachers when she saw the show!



Monday, August 30: Winamac, IN-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 57 mile jump to Winamac. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.


I started working on our promotional materials today, something I have unwisely been putting off for a long time.


We had a decent sized crowd for the first show; an old man was sitting dead center in the front row, video taping opening with a Flip camera.

I called him out on it and kidded him about the no video taping rule. He got a befuddled look on his face and said, "But I'm with the Winamac TV station."


I didn't think to make a joke about how the station couldn't afford to buy him a better camera. It turns out he actually was with the station, and they were filming a piece for their website.


The second show was almost full. After his act, Casey wrote a song just for me called "Tenaciously Apathetic". What an honor!




Tuesday, August 31: Burnettsville, IN-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 35 mile jump to Burnettsville, which turned out to be an extremely small town. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.


I spent all day cleaning my trailer. We had a small crowd for the first show; there were a few more people at the second show, but they were a rough audience.


The one highlight for us was meeting an 85 year old woman sitting in the front row who is a part time clown, a fact that she told Ryan over the microphone in opening.

As a gift she gave us a handmade clown ornament in an envelope. I took the ornament and gave Ryan the envelope.



Wednesday, September 01: Watseka, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 63 mile jump to Watseka, IL. The reason we had such a late call for a longer jump is because we drove into a different time zone.


There was a plethora of shopping right next to the lot, including a Wal Mart and a grocery store, so I took advantage of the convenience and visited the plaza at least three times during the day.


Kerri McMullen, a photographer that has come to visit a few times before, came to stay for a few days with me.


We had an almost full first show. During Intermission I visited with William Prickett and his wife.

Kerri was also watching the show and was talking with a kid next to her about how he liked the show.

He said that his favorite part were the clowns. He said we were way better than the clowns last year.

Alright...


We did good business for the second show, and we got good reactions to our gags.


After the shows I made dinner for Kerri.



Thursday, September 02: Momence, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 31 mile jump to Momence. We were on a grass lot and it was a rainy morning.


Kerri and I went to lunch, and by the time we were done the sun had come out.


There was a small crowd for the first show. As Ryan and I made our entrance for opening, a teenage girl screamed and fell backwards out of her chair.

Over the microphone I said, "Nice. You scared of clowns?"

She replied affirmatively.

I consoled her, "It's ok. I've got a cousin that's afraid of clowns. Yeah...he's 5."


I then went on to introduce us. After my usual line of, "we're kind of a big deal", I added, "we scare people out of their chairs."

This was met with a golf clap from a few people in the audience.

What a strange opening!


We had an average sized crowd for the second show; it started raining during the performance, and it stormed a bit throughout the night.



Friday, September 03: Hebron, IN-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 32 mile jump to Hebron, IN. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.


Kerri was going to leave this morning, but she decided to stay for another couple of days.


She took me to the post office to pick up the two packages that I had sent to town via general delivery.

Unfortunately only the bungee I ordered arrived, the bucket of latex didn't.


Kerri then took me to a feed store so I could buy duck food. We then had lunch and went to the grocery store to buy our dinner.


Ryan and I rigged up the bungee in the beehive and tested the correct height to hang it.

After we were done Kerri and I went bowling. She won, but only because I let her. Yeah....that's it!


We had a decent sized crowd for the first show. Apparently it was the "Try and Kill Ryan Show", because I hit him in his hamstring with a broom handle, stepped on his foot, and threw the beehive at him.

All by accident of course!


We had good business for both shows, and we got good reactions at both performances.


There were sound problems at the beginning of the second show's second half, so walkarounds were cut to make up for the time we lost while the problem was fixed.


My friend, Jessi, arrived after the shows. She finished her summer at Circus World Museum, and she will be finishing the season with us as a showgirl.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Report.
AAAA+++

You must have a great memory or you learned how to keep copius notes.(Who said you ain't college material?)

I have a little panic attack with each passing day that you fail to check in. :-)
Every 3/4 days, that's OK.
But a whole week without a Steve n' Ryan fix is a killer for us blog followers.

But I guess we 'love ya' or we wouldn't hang around.
What's a persons life without resident clowns even if it is only online?

Curious:
When's the season wrap up?
Any off-season plans in the works besides catching up on your sleep and daily duck training?

Jon
Spencer, Indiana
"Almost home of the Square Donut"

Steve Copeland said...

Last day is October 28 I believe. Going to try and book some winter work for me and Ryan.