Monday, October 25, 2010

September 28-October 05

Tuesday, September 28: St. Charles, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 26 mile jump to St. Charles. There was an RV dump station at the fairgrounds we are playing, so I attempted to dump my tank.

After pulling the handle, nothing was coming out. I tried again with the same results. Later on, Casey told me that it was probably because I had driven my trailer up on a curb to get as close as possible. That caused my trailer to be at a tilt, which probably prevented any sewage from coming out. I hope he is right!


Jessi took me to the grocery store across the street from the lot. I found black powder, which we are running out of, but it is IL state law that you need a card to purchase it.


We had small crowds for both shows; it was pretty miserable.

There was a great BBQ tonight with Casey's magician friend, Paul Lee, his friend, Steve Chezaday, and Steve's girlfriend.



Wednesday, September 29: St. Charles, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

This morning I took Ryan to an office store so he could buy binders to reorganize our gag books.


Paul Lee did something amazing for us today. He set up a visit with Marshall Brodien, the magician famous for his magic kits and for playing Wizzo the Wizard on the Bozo Show. It turns out that Mr. Brodien's house was basically across the street from the Panera where we had been getting breakfast each morning.

Casey was excited because Mr. Brodien saw him performing his juggling act as a teen, which led to Casey's appearance on the Bozo Show. I was excited because I watched him as Wizzo every day on the Bozo Show when I was a kid.

We both also had his magic kits when we were younger.


Mr. Brodien was so nice and such a gracious host. He gave us a tour of his basement, which was like a magician/Bozo Show museum. Any detail of his career that we asked about, he could remember perfectly.




Ryan and I got to pose with Wizzo the Wizard wardrobe, and I got to hold the Emmy that Mr. Brodien won for the Bozo Show.





Mr. Brodien was also generous enough to give us autographed pictures and magic card decks.



It was such an awesome experience; I'm really glad that Paul Lee could set it up for us.


Once again we had a small crowd for the first show. The second show had the biggest crowd of our two day stand, but sadly that wasn't saying much!


At least Marshall Brodien and his wife came to see the second show.



I was just sad that he saw us in front of such a dismal audience. The cast didn't even get applause for the final style of the show!


Jessi, Radar, and I rushed to an Oberweiss after the show to end the evening on a high note.



Thursday, September 30: Channahon, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 39 mile jump to Channahon. All the stop lights and morning traffic made the jump take FOREVER!


Casey built a prop table for us this morning; it will be used in one of next year's tour de forces of comedy.


Ryan organized the box of my truck, and I did a little bit of cleaning too. It had gotten disgusting and disorganized over the course of the season.


Both shows today were full. I felt like a jerk in the first table act when I couldn't rip the dress off of Delena at the conclusion of the gag. I tried many times to no avail; It looked like clown rape gone bad. And that is no laughing matter!


In the second table act Ryan flubbed the bit where he cleans out my ear with a rag. He just could not get the rag into my ear canal. I turned to him and said, "How did you get your wife pregnant?"

Never the slouch, Ryan quickly replied with, "I thought you did it!"



Friday, October 01: Marseilles, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 39 mile jump to Marseilles. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.


Ryan and I made a couple of trips to a hardware store today so we could complete one of our props for next year; Radar helped us out as well.


A couple of hours before the show I decided to take a quick nap. I got a phone call from my friend, Cricket, that woke me from a deep slumber. When I checked my phone to see what time it was, I discovered that it was 20 minutes before the show!


I hadn't showered, I hadn't shaved, my contacts weren't in, and most importantly, I was not in make up!

I decided to forego the shower and contacts, so I hurriedly shaved (cutting the hell out of my cheek in the process), and slapped on my make up.

I made it on time for the show, but I would have been screwed if Cricket had not called me!


We had good business for the first show and the second show was almost full.


Something set me and Ryan off in the second table act, and we could not stop laughing.

Then, when Delena swung her purse behind her back to hit me in the face, her aim was way off and she nailed me in the family jewels.

I sunk to the ground and crawled around on my stomach, which broke Delena up and made Ryan laugh even harder.

It was a tough act to get through, but in a good way!



Saturday, October 02: Peru, IL-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 25 mile jump to Peru. We were on a grass lot, and it was a windy, cloudy day. It was also extremely cold!


Ryan and I watched the horror movie, Motel Hell, which featured a man wearing a pig head having a chainsaw fight with a cop. Brilliant!


Jessi and I went to lunch and then to a Goodwill, and when we got back to the lot, we met my friends, Toto Johnson and Wayne Weems.


Both shows were packed, and the audience response was great. I was happy about that because Toto mentored me as a teen and helped me to get on Ringling; I always like for people to see me at my best.


The second exterminator gag was a crazy one. My wig kept coming off at strange times, and I even used it as chest hair at one point.


Tonight we went to karaoke with Toto. I started off the evening by singing, "My Kind of Town", in the style of Frank Sinatra.

A drunken reprobate got right in my face and told me that I sucked. I was so angry that I was considering starting my first ever bar fight, but Casey had words with the guy and he ended up being friendly and buying us all drinks.


We had power all night at the lot because it was so cold. I was glad because Toto was staying over and I didn't want him to have to freeze in his sleep.



Sunday, October 03: Clinton, IL-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.

We had a 5:30 a.m. call for our 87 mile jump to Clinton. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.


Ryan and I watched the horrible horror movie, Deranged, which organ purists might enjoy. The musical kind of organ, not the other kind...


We had a decent sized crowd for the first show and an average sized crowd for the second show.


I took Dan to Wal Mart to do some shopping, and then Jessi and I watched the movie, The Court Jester, which I had not seen in several years.



Monday, September 04: Athens, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 50 mile jump to Athens. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.


Dave Williams and Rick Purdue took Dan and I to breakfast. I ended up not eating anything after calling our miserable waitress an old bat, loud enough for her to hear.

After she intentionally spilled hot coffee in my general vicinity, I decided I'd pass on a meal that she could spit in.


I went to Springfield, IL with Jessi, but I was getting sick, so I wasn't feeling up to doing much.


We had decent business for both shows. The second table act was crazy; Ryan and I were acting like ventriloquist dummies (in honor of the movie, Dead Silence, which we were watching), Delena smacked me in the face with her hand, and at the end of the act, Delena's dress came down on my head after I threw it in the air.



Tuesday, October 05: South Jacksonville, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 48 mile jump to S. Jacksonville. My trailer lights were not working this morning, a problem that I thought had been resolved, so I let Castro know when I got to the lot.


We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day. Ryan and I watched Night of the Living Dead, and then I attempted to deal with a propane problem I was having.

One of the hoses going into one of the tanks had a leak in it. I tried in vain to find a hose in town, but there weren't any shops that carried the kind I needed.


Just when my stress was at its highest, I got some relief from the surprise visit of Tom Dougherty and Pepe Silva.

Pepe and I worked together on Ringling my last year, and Ryan and I both knew Tom from the past.


We had an almost full first show; I was happy that Tom and Pepe got to see us with a good audience. They were both very complimentary, and after the show we all had a great talk about the art of clowning that totally recharged my batteries.

The other plus was that Castro fixed my trailer light problem.


We had an almost full second show; Bill and Nancy Prickett were in the audience, so I spent some time chatting with them at Intermission.


Ryan and I shortened the bee gag some more; I am still out to lunch on how I feel about the changes.


No comments: