Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Friday, October 22: Osawatomie, KS-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 53 mile jump to Osawatomie. We were playing on a grass lot and it was an overcast day.

Ryan and I remade one of our props for next year for the third time; fortunately the third time DOES seem to be the charm in this case.

The circus kids did their trick or treating this afternoon. I had Sara buy a couple of bags of candy yesterday, but when I saw the mob of children and how much candy they were getting from everyone else, I knew that my one piece of candy a child rationing was not going to cut it.

I ended up hiding in my trailer and then just tossing all the candy on the ground where the kids could fend for themselves.

This did not please the children, so they attempted to flip over my trailer. I hid inside until the bloodthirsty mob had moved on to another trailer.

Ryan got a huge kick out of this spectacle and took to calling me The Grinch Who Stole Halloween.

We had an average sized crowd for the first show. The ground inside the ring was rough and uneven.

During the table act I did my toothpick and landed with my ankle right on a rock. As Delena styled at the end of the act, I just laid face down and screamed in pain. Ryan found that very amusing as well.

We had a good sized crowd for the second show, and they were a good audience.

It started to rain during the second show, but that did not deter a group of us from going to a haunted house after the shows.

It honestly was a lame haunted house, with a bunch of fat teenagers in masks and "pedestrian" clothing, but we still managed to have fun. It's just too bad the biggest fear was that one of the kids might try and eat us!

Saturday, October 23: Chanute, KS-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

We had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 70 mile jump to Chanute. We were on a grass lot and it was an overcast day.

There was an average sized crowd at the first show, and more people showed up for the second show.

Today started the 10 show countdown before we are finished. Whoo hoo!

After the shows a group of us went to see Jackass 3-D. It was so freaking funny! I laughed until I thought I would cry; it was definitely a needed emotional release.

Sunday, October 24: Pittsburg, KS-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.

We had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 61 mile jump to Pittsburg. We were on a gravel lot and it was an overcast day.

Ryan and I watched The Howling before work; the sun decided to come out in time for the shows.

The first performance was 3/4 full and we had good business for the second show.

After we were done we had the Great Annual Halloween Party; great was definitely the appropriate adjective to describe it too. I had a lot of fun and thought the party was better than last year's.

Me and Ryan's costumes didn't win any prizes, but we got laughs!

Here are some more shots of the costumes. All of these are from Nikki:

You can also see more pictures of the party here:


Ryan got me to kiss Tatiana on the cheek during the party, but she moved and I ended up planting one right on her mouth.

Later in the party, after I had cleaned up, I grabbed one of the cupcakes that I had been eyeing all evening. Just as I was about to eat it, Tatiana snatched it out of my hand, smeared the icing on my mouth, and then gave me the cupcake again!

And let me tell you, the cupcake's black icing was a hell of a lot harder to get off than all that blue make up!

Monday, October 25: Parsons, KS-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:30 a.m. call for our 36 mile jump to Parsons. We were playing on a grass lot and it was an overcast day.

Fridman fixed my propane leak for me. I was very grateful that I no longer had to fear my untimely death from an explosion.

Ryan went to a meeting about the new show today to talk about our involvement.

We had an average sized crowd for the first show, and they were a dead audience. It was quite a shame since Nikki was filming our gags for us.

There were more people for the second show and they were a much better audience.

Tuesday, October 26: Sedan, KS-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

We had a 6:00 a.m. call for our 69 mile jump to Sedan. We were on a grass lot and it was a sunny day.

I had to move around the lot three times before I was parked, but it paid off because my final parking space was great.

We went to breakfast this morning at probably the worst diner we have been to all season. They told us when we ordered that there would be about a 30 minute wait for our food because there were other customers whose orders were ahead of ours. I'm pretty sure every other restaurant on God's green Earth is able to cook more than one meal at a time!

On our sightseeing trip of Sedan we walked along the yellow brick road.

We visited a Wizard of Oz themed gift shop where we all signed the walls like many had before us. I think our way of signing was more creative, though.

Sedan, KS is the birthplace of Emmett Kelly, and they have a museum in his honor. Unfortunately there weren't many things of interest from Emmett Kelly aside from some newspaper clippings about him, some of his drawings, and a pair of his shoes.

There were; however, lots of props and costumes belonging to Don "Sparky" Washburn, a circus clown from Chanute, KS who was killed by a drunk driver in 1979.

I would put pictures up, but I am overseas right now and don't have access to them. You can see a few here:


We had a decent sized crowd for the first show, and we did good business for the second show. The second crowd had great energy.

Wednesday, September 27: Travel Day to Ardmore, OK

We had a 5:30 a.m. call for our 279 mile jump to Ardmore. The drive wasn't bad, except for the last 50 miles, which seemed to go on forever!

We were playing on a bumpy, grass lot and it was a sunny day. After we were parked, Ryan and I went to Mr. North's bookstore in town.

Tonight a big group of us, including the North family, went to karaoke. It was a lot of fun, and our group was a hit with our diverse range of songs.

Thursday, September 28: Ardmore, OK-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

This morning while I was waiting to get paid I ran into Tina Bausch, the advance clown for Culpepper Merriweather. Since their season is done, she did advance for us in this town.

Judging by the large turn out for the tent raising, it was easy to say that she did a good job.

Ryan and I ran to Wal Mart to get flowers for Delena, and then we went back to Mr. North's book store to purchase a print of the painting that an artist did of the show at the beginning of the year.

Interested customers can buy a print by contacting The Bookseller in Ardmore.

There was an almost full first show. Dudley, Kelly Miller's WQ caretaker, came up to see the performance one last time, and he brought his son in law, Rich, and his daughter, Carol.

Dave Gordon, former circus clown, his wife, "Shorty", and their son, D.R., came to visit for the last day as well.

I worked with the Gordons on Ringling and they always took great care of me and Ryan, even giving us rides to the train after work for a whole year.

"Shorty" brought a whole batch of delicious baked goodies for us to enjoy.

I got to meet another former circus clown, Gary Knowell (sp), today. I was glad to make his acquaintance, because I had always heard a lot of favorable things about him.

Johnny Moss gave me my belated birthday present today, the brand new Xbox game, Dead Rising 2, instantly earning him the title of "Coolest Kid In The Universe".

We had a full second show; it was a great way to end the season, as opposed to last year's dismal final performance.

I can honestly say the clown gags went out with a bang, except for the ironic fact that the shotgun didn't fire in the bee gag. Despite that, all the gags went flawlessly.

At the conclusion of the table act Ryan and I gave Delena two bouquets of roses in the ring.

Per special request from Sorcha North, I made up her boyfriend, Mark, as a clown. I was very happy with the make up job I did on him (quickly I might add) between acts.

He was a very funny sight doing finale with us because he was easily a foot taller than everyone in the ring except for John Moss.

The Norths and everyone else from the show in the audience assumed that it was Casey in make up.

After the shows were done a few of us went to Gusher's one more time to have a few drinks and food.

I couldn't believe that the season was over. It seemed like the morning would bring yet another circus day.

And that concludes the 2010 season of the Kelly Miller Circus. I apologize that this last entry took so long to complete. I had everything but the last day written by the 28th of October, and my laziness and apathy kept me from writing about one more day for all this time.

The show made it safely back to Hugo. Ryan and I are finished with work on our gags for next year, which is a great feeling.

I bought a "new" truck, a 1996 U-Haul that promises to be a great deal, especially for the steal of a price that I paid for it.

As I write this, Ryan and I are on a plane to Guam to perform with The Great American Circus.

After a week in Guam, we will fly to Manila to do some PR for the show, and then head to Pennsylvania to perform with the Bill Hall Christmas Tour.

After that eight day gig we get back on a plane and fly back to Manila for two weeks of shows with The Great American Circus.

Finally in January I will get to head home to South Carolina, and Ryan will get to spend time with Tatiana and his son, who is due in January.

I will post some photos from our winter travels, but remember, this is me we are talking about, so don't hold your breath!

Happy Holidays everyone!


EleFanOhio said...

Thanks for a great season.

And now I can proudly say that I know an internationally known celebrity! Go guys!

Anonymous said...

Steve- thanks for another great vicarious year on the road . . . and remember-- next year, it's Ryan's turn to do the blog . . .

Bruce the Clown

Don said...

Happy Holidays to you too Steve.

Thanks for all of your posts throughout the season. Those of us out here in cyberspace appreciate your allowing us to accompany you on the journey.

All the best,

Don Covington

No Thyme to Lose said...

Many thanks for your blogs and for that extra effort to cover the last few days Kelly Miller's 2010 season.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I knew it was Mark and so did Shirley.....Casey would not have looked so uncomfortable in the ring! Thanks for sharing your adventures all season! Katherine