Saturday, March 5, 2011

South Of The Border

Friday, March 04: Weslaco, TX-6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

Miles: 6

Lot: City Park



We all got to sleep in this morning since we had such a short jump; the call time wasn't until 7:30 a.m.


Ryan invited me on an outing today. I didn't really want to go, but I am glad that I did.

Armando took me, Ryan, and Mrs. Fusco across the border in Refugio, TX into Mexico.

The main purpose of the visit was so that Mrs. Fusco could get contact lenses and Ryan could get new glasses.

They had a quick examination done and were told to return in a couple of hours to pick up their lenses.


We spent the time we had looking at many of the shops and kiosks lining the main street.

Our friend, Ramon, told us that Nuevo Progreso was probably the safest crossing point; there were many elderly, American tourists walking around.


I picked up a copy of Jackass 3-D on DVD for $4; Ryan bought a name bracelet for Tatiana, and he bought a pinky ring with his son's name engraved on it for me and for himself.


We spent a good 3 hours in Mexico, and before we knew it the time had come to return to the circus.


I had a heck of a haul in the mail department today. I got some movies from Netlix, and a book I ordered called "Funnymen: Life and Times on The Greatest Show on Earth" by Joe Wood.

The book is a collection of stories from a clown who was with the Blue Unit in the late 70's. I am very excited to read it!


We did good business for the first show, and the second show was 3/4 full.

Doing the water gag while sick presents some unique obstacles. Since my nose is stopped up, the part where I have to hold water in my mouth for a long time is extremely difficult.

Last night all I could do was picture myself passing out, which made me laugh. After I pretended to sway on my feet, Ryan understood what was cracking me up and he started to laugh too.


Tonight Ryan got up close and personal when he threw the bucket of water on me at the end of the gag, and the cold water all hit my white shirt instead of my face.

I pulled the shirt tight against my chest to show off my "wet t-shirt contest pose", which made Ryan laugh even harder.



2 comments:

Tejano said...

Aha! The daring tourists head into Mexico and come back! Congrats!! :) Hope you had fun and enjoyed your stay. I need to get over there to have some dental work done and eyeglasses!

Casey didn't want to go?? :)

T

Tejano said...

CYA tonight at the 7:30 show!