Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Clark Kent From The Mudville Chronicle

Tuesday, May 10: Montpelier, IN-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Miles: 38

Lot: Motor Speedway


When I heard that we were going to be on a Motor Speedway today, I assumed that meant that we would be on cement.

As well all know though, assume makes an ass out of "u" and "me". I didn't see cement anywhere; we were on a combination of grass, dirt, and rocks.


About an hour before show time it stormed for twenty minutes or so. The rain came down hard, the thunder was booming, and the lightning was flashing.

Basically it rained just enough to turn the area around the tent into a muddy mess, and then the sun came out and made it humid.


The mud was very nasty too; it was wet, slick, soupy mud that stuck to everything. Ryan and I had a few inches of mud caked to the bottom of our clown shoes all evening.

Speaking of which, both of my pairs of clown shoes are shot, and there are holes in the soles. This caused squishy mud to get inside my shoes and ruin my socks.

Luckily Ryan lent me his pair of Clownverse so I wouldn't get the "goof rot".


We had average sized crowds for both shows. They weren't great audiences, but I can't really blame them. We were miserable performing, and I can't imagine it was too much better sitting there and watching us.


There was a man at the first show that made me laugh though. He was a reporter from the local paper that was trying to interview us during opening.

He was standing in the preferred seating section, blocking people's view, and trying to talk to us while we were performing.

Ryan and I both exited the tent, looked at each other, and at the same time threw up our hands and said, "What in the hell was that!?"

Sarah said that during the camel act he was asking people in the front row questions while they were trying to watch the show, and he was attempting to get them to stand up so he could take their pictures with the show in the background.

Casey said when the reporter wasn't working he was slumped in a chair looking like he was bored out of his mind.

No comments: