Sunday, May 15, 2011

Jungle Jim's Rocks My World

Saturday, May 14: Sharonville, OH-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

Miles: 45

Lot: Princeton band field


The show was smack dab in the middle of civilization today. Hooray!

When we got back from breakfast, I was just in time to meet up with my friend, Karen Lukes, who came with her children to visit.

Karen was a clown on Clyde Beatty and Ringling, and she also did advance work for Kelly Miller back in 97.

She took me to Jungle Jim's, a HUGE, awesome, and awesomely huge international market.

The store had great displays and just about every nation had an aisle or two of food indigenous to that area.

I spent $64 on gifts for friends and also on some goodies for myself.


Today's lot was a difficult set up. The whole lot was cement except for the back door, which was muddy grass. Also, there were bits of curb separating the grass from the cement, so getting props into the tent was a royal pain.

Because of the difficult situation, the tigers stayed inside the back curtain the entire first show. This affected almost all of me and Ryan's entrances or exits, so we ended up using the other curtain, which totally threw me off a couple of times. It's tough to break routine when you do something the exact same way two times a day, seven days a week.


Both shows had good crowds, but there were more people at the first show. Karen, her children, and some of her friends came to the first show. Also in attendance was circus fan Doug Kreust and Blue Unit assistant trainmaster, Joe Colossa.

Joe worked on the Blue Unit in concessions while I was there; I got to talk to his girlfriend, Carmen Torres, on the phone for a couple of minutes. Carmen rides a motorcycle in the globe, and we used to joke around a lot when I was on the show.


Doug is taking one pair of my clown shoes to see about getting them repaired. I hope something can be done; I am afraid they may be beyond repair.


After the shows I caught a ride with Casey, Nikki, Radar, Sarah, and GiGi to Jungle Jim's again. I explored the market a little more and bought more food gifts.

Back at the lot I dropped Johhny and Nathan Moss' present off at their joint birthday party, and then we went out to have an early birthday celebration for Casey.

We ate at an Irish Pub that didn't have a single Irish meal on the menu. Lame!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey steve you should see about jon spear fixing some of your shoes. i was just over with him and he was working on shoes that are not his.. just a thought.
Mike Reading