Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ringling In The Ring

Tuesday, May 03: Rushville, IN-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Miles: 18

Lot: fairgrounds


I greatly enjoyed sleeping in this morning. Once I finally got up I walked into town to go grocery shopping.

Unfortunately the only store nearby was a Save A Lot, and as everybody knows, Save A Lots suck....a lot!


We did good business for the first show and the second show was almost full.

Yesterday Daryl, our rope spinner, and his wife, Delores, left the show. I'm not sure why they did, but I do know they will be missed.


There was a note in the backdoor that piqued my interest. It said to look for a special guest in the Broken Spur Saloon production number.

Mr. North took to the ring and showcased his whip cracking skills; apparently the first time he has been in the ring since he led the final spec of Ringling's final performance under the big top back in 1956.

You can see a picture here:


http://themudshowdiaries.blogspot.com/2011/05/ringling-history-revisited.html


Ryan's eyes were irritating him today, so he didn't wear his contacts. He was making me laugh by pretending to be blind in the water gag.

Speaking of comical blindness....in the artist gag there is a bit where I, as the nearsighted old sculptor, walk towards the audience wielding my hammer and chisel, mistaking them for the rock.

Tonight when I did that, a little girl screamed when I got close and fell back in her chair. Her parents caught her before she tipped all the way over, and it got a huge laugh from the audience.


I also got a nice laugh from an improvised line in the first artist gag. When I see Ryan's grotesque appearance as the fat model, I have a mild heart attack.

While that was happening, a little boy in the front row started crying loudly. After I got the blood flowing back to the ol' ticker, I turned to the boy and said, "I'm with you kid, that's one ugly broad!"

No comments: