Saturday, May 28, 2011

Travel Day

Friday, May 27: Hancock, MD-Travel Day
Miles: 68
Lot: Widmeyer Park

I was happy that I traveled to Hancock last night instead of waking up at 5:00 a.m. this morning to make the jump.
I got to sleep in, but only for an extra hour, as Alex woke me up at 6:00 a.m. to park me in my correct spot: about a foot back from where I was.

Casey, Nikki, and I left around 7:30 a.m. for our trip to Hershey, PA. We spent most of the day at Hersheypark, the Sweetest Theme Park on Earth! (ffffrrrrrrtttttt)
The park was packed with school groups, and it was hotter than blazes. Nikki and I waited in line over an hour and a half for a rollercoaster that lasted maybe a minute. It was an awesome ride, but not a "stand in line forever surrounded by annoying teenagers while getting roasted" kind of awesome.

Joy, who came to visit the other day, met up with us and together we all explored the park. We opted out on any more rides due to the crowd and 50% of the party's lack of interest in thrill rides, but we looked through the zoo section and saw a fun tap dancing show (most importantly, the theatre was air conditioned.)
The best part of the park came while I was keeping Joy company in the slowest food stand line in the world.
We were right next to a karaoke studio where park patrons can record a music video onto a DVD.
I, along with four of my Ringling clown co-workers, recorded "Hard Knock Life" back in 2006 when we went to the park in make-up. (It is a yearly tradition for the clowns to get an old time photo done in Hershey. Here is ours from 2006.)

(Left to Right: Dean Kelley, Jesse Highley, Scott O'Donnell, Neal Skoy, and Steve, the knight in mobster's clothing)

Well anyway, there was a video playing on a loop outside the studio showing highlights of different videos customers had made.
All of a sudden, our video came on. I frantically called Casey and Nikki over so we could all bask in the glory of klown karaoke.
Casey summed it up best when he said, "Wow Steve, you suck."

Ringling's Red Unit was playing right across the street from the park, so about an hour before the show, we went over to visit with friends. I hung out in Clown Alley, while Casey and Nikki went to visit Tabayara, the tiger trainer, who graciously set us up with comp tickets.

I was so happy I got to spend more time visiting with the clowns. When I saw the show in January I didn't get much of a chance.


Ryan, Armando, and the Fuscos were also visiting since the Fusco brothers are doing their juggling act in the show.

We all had a great time at the show, but all good things must come to an end; we had 110 mile drive back to Hancock to overcome.
After such a full day, we were bushed by the time we got back to our trailers.

No comments: