Friday, June 10, 2011

Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls

Thursday, June 09: Ringoes, NJ-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Miles: 75

Lot: fairgrounds


This morning's drive seemed to go on forever, but thankfully it was mostly Interstate.


Ryan carved a prop for one of our new gags today, and I put elastic in my beret for the artist gag.

For awhile now it has been refusing to stay on my head. I was having to sacrifice good movement to keep it on my head long enough for a crucial bit; talk about annoying.


It was another hot and humid day. We had a small crowd for the first show that was just miserable; I was glad to be done with that performance.


It seems like my baby duck has an eye infection. I read up on the subject online, and I am going to try some saline solution like several websites suggested.


Right before the second show started, dark, ominous clouds began to form. As soon as the show was underway, it began to rain cats and dogs.


For some reason, it was pouring water into the tent right on top of Fridman's rigging, so at the last minute it was decided that he wouldn't work.

Also at that time, the glasses that I wear for the artist gag decided to break.

I ran to Ryan's house to let him know that Fridman was out, but I discovered that he had already headed to the tent entrance.

As I ran back to my trailer, my umbrella broke from the wind. I pulled a spare pair of glasses out of my closet, and made it to the back door just in time for the artist gag.


Ryan noticed the downpour at the front of the ring, so when he entered for the artist gag, he stood right under the waterfall and let it beat down on his head.

When John told him that he was standing under the rain, Ryan looked up and got a face full of water, which got a nice laugh.


I was also soaked from my episode with the broken umbrella, so we must have looked like quite a pair.

After I got scared by the sight of him, I stared him down and said, "You look like a drowned rat....it looks good on you though!"


Luckily the rain stopped during the artist gag; there was just some scattered thunder and lightning for the rest of the show.

There was another small crowd, but at least they showed some signs of life; I'm sure that the storm cooling things down had some effect on that.


No comments: