Friday, June 3, 2011

Holy Crab!

Thursday, June 2: Havre De Grace, MD-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Miles: 76

Lot: Legends of the Fog


I slept in late this morning so that Castro could ride with me on the jump. My brakes have been making strange sounds, so I wanted him to correctly diagnose the problem before I succumbed to a fiery death.

The original plan was for him to ride with me for a few miles and then get out and join Fridman in the pump truck, but we ended up taking off earlier than I expected, and he made the whole jump with me.


Castro got a great opportunity to experience my brake problem since I almost crashed into the back of a truck on the Interstate. The truck wanted to exit, but the off ramp was full; the truck just stopped in the right hand lane, and I was going too fast to completely stop, even though I had plenty of distance between us.

My tires ended up squealing and spinning, and if the people in the left lane hadn't let me in a little bit, we would have rear ended the truck.

Just to drive home the fact that my brakes were shot, I ended up skidding past the turn to the lot since I didn't see the arrows until I was right on top of them.

Luckily I was able to back up and turn in with no problem.


I went with Casey, Radar, and Nikki to do laundry, and while we were out I was able to get brake fluid from a gas station, shavings for my ducks at TSC, and groceries. Hooray for productivity!


Back at the lot I was laden with gifts! Pat Stevenson, one of the clowns from Olney, had brought bottled water (the lot was without a water source) via her husband, and our friend, Carol Lang, brought tons of goodies: crab cakes, cole slaw, potato salad, and berger cookies (possibly the best thing I have ever eaten in my life).

She was also nice enough to take me, Ryan, Tatiana, and Nico out to lunch.

We went to downtown Havre De Grace and ate by the Chesapeake Bay; the food was delicious, and the atmosphere was so relaxing.

I told her it was so nice to get away from the lot and feel like a human being.


Back at the lot Castro fixed my brakes, but as we were unloading the props, Ryan noticed that I had oil splashed onto the front of my trailer. I showed Castro and he said that he needed to check the differential.

Sure enough, my differential was bone dry, and when he put oil in it, it started leaking out.

After taking it apart, Castro deemed that the differential was broken on the inside, and my whole rear end would have to be replaced.


Danny and Casey started making calls for me, and Danny found out that one of the sponsors had a shop and could fix my problem.

The sponsor, also named Danny, took a look and said he would have the truck towed to his shop in the morning.

For the rest of the evening, I was preoccupied and worried about all the details concerning getting my trailer, my ducks, and our props to the next few towns.


Looking at the positives of the day, the weather was beautiful, the lot was beautiful, and both shows were almost full.


Carol watched the first performance; I felt bad that I had a hard time giving it my all for that show. I was tired from such a full day, and like I said earlier, my mind was preoccupied with the truck.

Even a throng of adoring fans that talked to us after the show didn't help lift my spirits.


Luckily I got my second wind for the next show and I felt much better. Some folks from the Freestate Clown Alley #30 were at that performance, so I visited with them a bit during Intermission and after the show.


John Moss was nice enough to let us put our props in his toy hauler; we left behind the box for the water gag since it is superfluous.

I went through my truck and pulled out everything else that I thought I would need for the next few days.


After the shows Danny pulled my truck to the side of the lot with the van so that the sponsor could have it towed to his shop in the morning.


By BBQ time I was starving. Carol brought me a box of Guinness, and one of those babies went down mighty smooth after such a crazy day.

The food she brought was delicious as well; I ate so much crab cake that I thought I would grow claws and start singing "Under The Sea".



No comments: