Tuesday, June 14, 2011

NYC

Sunday, June 12: Secaucus, NJ-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Miles: 88
Lot: Harmon Meadows Plaza

This morning's drive took us right up to the Lincoln Tunnel, and unfortunately a few show vehicles wound up in NYC for a short time before getting to the lot.

We were in a shopping center just mere miles from the city. I did my best to blend in by having a bagel for breakfast and a pastrami sandwich for lunch. Yum.

When I got to the lot, I noticed that my trailer's water pump was leaking badly, so I let Fridman know and he fixed it for me.

I tried to take a nap since it had been a long morning, and I had a long day and night ahead of me, but people were wandering by and yelling at my ducks ad nauseam. I finally gave up my sleeping aspirations when some flat headed kid started a barking contest with the Poema's dogs while his gem of a mother laughed and videotaped the whole thing.

Today my friend, Joey Kline, visited with his mother, father, and twin sisters. Joey is an up and coming clown, and I try to help him out however I can.
The Kline family brought a bag full of awesome baby clothes for Nico, and Joey got presents for me and Ryan as well. Ryan got some gloves that he has been wanting all season, and I got a new pair of suspenders and a snazzy, heavy duty umbrella. No wind is breaking this thing!

I had lunch with the Klines (that they provided), and then Joey and I got into make up. Joey did finale with us last year, and so today we continued the tradition.

The first show was packed, and in addition to the Kline family, my friend, Book Kennison, was visiting along with his friend, Josh.

Clown memorabilia collector, Rich Turscany, stopped by to see if we had anything worth buying. He ended up purchasing a pair of clown pants that Ryan made at the beginning of the season.

During our break in the first show, Ryan and I went to the outskirts of the shopping center to see a billboard that featured our picture on it. Tatiana tipped us off to its existence.


Joey joined us in finale, and he and I even managed to get a double pants drop into our final bow.


Between shows our friends, Mark Carfora and Jay Lemos, came to visit with some delicious cannoli in tow. Also visiting was our friend, Pat Cashin, and his family. He brought a whole stack of donuts for his friends on the show.
We love our friends! Especially when they come bearing gifts! (hint hint) :o)

We had another packed house for the second performance. My friend, Kevin Carr, and his friend, Debbie, showed up, but they unfortunately missed a chunk of the first half.
When I went out to visit with everyone at Intermission, I got mobbed by the public. I can't remember the last time I had taken that many pictures!

I really wanted to go out to dinner with all of our friends (especially since so many dining options were readily unavailable), but we had to move to the next town to avoid Monday morning traffic.

The drive to Greenwood Lake was a pain in the neck, with lots of directions. Added to that were darkness, rain, and jerks not dimming their bright lights as they passed.
I quit my complaining about the drive after I learned of the shorter but crazily steep route that we bypassed. THAT would not have been fun!

I had a fantastic time today visiting with all my friends, but after two long, difficult jumps and playing host all afternoon, I was ready to crash after I was parked.


Monday, June 13: Greenwood Lake, NY-Day Off
Miles: 57
Lot: Greenwood Lake Park

I woke up early this morning thinking that we were going to laundry, but Casey decided we'd put that off and spend longer in NYC today. That decision was more than alright with me.

We drove to the next town over, Tuxedo, and then Casey, Nikki, and I hopped on a train to Penn Station. I had not been in the city for two years, and I was so happy to be back for a visit.

We started the day off by walking from the Garden to Times Square and having lunch at Ellen's Stardust Diner, where the wait staff are all aspiring entertainers and sing to you while you eat.

We walked through Central Park for a bit and stopped by Lincoln Center; I have never seen the Big Apple lot without the show set up. It is amazing to me how they fit onto that small space!


Next we checked out a few shops before heading down to the Village. Casey wanted to take photos of some noted musician locales, whereas I had good food on my brain.

We had a beer at the Slaughtered Lamb Pub, which is based on the pub of the same name from "An American Werewolf in London".

Nikki and I had lunch at Pommes Frites, a french fry eatery where you get delicious dipping sauces with your paper cone full of fried potato goodness. We also stopped by Veniero's Bakery, home of the best cannoli anywhere (in my humble opinion).
Casey was getting a new tattoo during our tour de food.

Radar took a train to the city and met us in the early afternoon. After he had found us, I took off to have coffee with my friend, Marni Zalban. Marni was a clown leaving the road when I joined the Blue Unit, and we have stayed in touch ever since.

After spending some time with Marni, I went back to the village (getting turned around a few times in the process) and met up with the gang, which had grown by one member, my friend, Book.

Book took us to an old bar with sawdust on the floor where every beer you order is actually two small glasses.
We threw back a few and then went to a great karaoke bar where I sang everything from Avenue Q to Michael Buble.

Before we left, everybody wanted to pick up some souvenirs from Times Square.
Heading back to Penn Station, Casey discovered that we might have to wait two hours for the next train to get us back to Tuxedo.
Fortunately we lucked out and caught a train to Secaucus just a few minutes after arriving at the station.

From there we discovered that we would still have to wait about two hours to get a train to Tuxedo.
There was; however, a train to the next town over from Tuxedo that was leaving in about twenty minutes, so Casey hopped on his phone and lined up a cab to take us the rest of the way.

Everything lined up perfectly, and we were in Casey's truck heading back to the lot before we would have even left Secaucus on the other train.

What an awesome day off!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous.
As a person who eats and breathes theatre - I use to go to New York twice a year to see the Broadway shows.
Hit a Wednesday matinee and night, Thursday and Friday Night Saturday Matinee and evening and then fly back to Indiana on Sunday. Always stayed at the Piccadilly Hotel. Back then Show Tickets were in the $ 25 range and standing room, which I often did, was $ 10-12. A room was $ 45 a night and meals were reasonable. We are talking 50 years ago. When the prices started to soar and my income didn’t -- the NY trips went by the roadside.
I loved the Latin Quarter Show Restaurant, Momma Leones, Hawaiian Tiki Room. The Haymarket Restaurant was an off street Actors hangout with decent home cooked food at very reasonable prices. Now all of the past.
I haven’t been back for 35 years -- SO I am so jealous. Your detailed adventure list brought back a lot of old memories of when I too loved to “roam” the streets of the big apple. As a retired show biz person I guess that I am living thru you eyes. Keep up the good work in all areas of your expertise.
Steve:
Did you read the theatre review about your friend Neil Skoy.
The show Night Fall at the Jungle Theatre.
He garnered excellent reviews.

Steve Copeland said...

I have not read the review; where might I find it?

Anonymous said...

Here's the review and more:


http://www.jungletheater.com/season2011/nextfall.html

Anonymous said...

http://www.jungletheater.com/season2011/nextfall.html

Anonymous said...

I'm gettin' too old to pay attention! Go here for the actual Reviews (4 of them)
URL is so long Cut n Paste may be the only option.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/state-of-the-arts/archive/2011/04/the-reviews-are-in-for-next-fall.shtm

marni said...

I'm sorry my directions screwed you up - I'm glad you got where you were going! Next time call me!