Monday, June 20, 2011

Pee-Owned

Sunday, June 19: Saugerties, NY-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Miles: 45

Lot: sports complex


The lot in Saugerties was a lot more bearable today than it was two years ago. Last time it was full of standing water and the lot smelled like sewage for the two days we were there.


The Breakfast Club went into town and ate at the Love Bites Cafe. I had green toast and eggs; the green came from avocado spread with lemon juice. YUM!


Back at the lot I got into line to be paid. Since Radar and I both arrived at the office around the same time, we played Rock, Paper, Scissors to determine who would go first.

After Radar won best two out of three, I suggested that we Roshambo for it (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=roshambo), as long as I could go first. He wasn't hep to that idea.


I was furious when someone from the lot showed up at the office to settle tickets while Radar was getting paid. I ended up having to wait some more until that guy was done.

I KNEW we should have Roshambo'd for it!


After getting paid and cleaned up, I walked into town to do some more exploring. I sat down with the Fuscos at an Argentinean bakery and had a coffee while they ate breakfast, and then Ryan and I checked out some antique stores and book shops.

One of the book stores had a few circus books, and I was very close to buying a pristine 1st edition hardback version of Towsen's "Clowns". The $40 price tag deterred me in the end.


Two years ago we did awful business in Saugerties. Today was no exception.

Both shows had small crowds, and to put it nicely, getting through the gags was rough.


The first show reminded me of the one line sea shanty that I wrote about this town in the past:


"We're in Saugerties, someone kill me please!"


To top everything off, I got peed on by a tiger as I was leaving opening of the first show.

Luckily it was just a small spray, and it only got on my shirt, which Tatiana was nice enough to wash for me.


In the second show I decided not to let the dismal crowds get me down, and I just went out and did my best.

In the end, what more can you do?


After the shows I went back into town with Casey, Radar, and Nikki. We found a delicious restaurant for dinner, and then we played a little pool at a bar down the road.

3 comments:

EleFanOhio said...

I told Ryan he had to share the one I gave him. (My rule was to present it to the first one of you two that I saw.) Let me know of any other clown related books you are interested in. Who knows what might appear some day.

Anonymous said...

Very few people in the United States can claim to be
"Pee'd on by a Tiger".

Better steer clear next time around -- that Tiger may have his evil eye on you!

Jon
Indiana

Lane Taburt said...

Steve: Here's the link to your video on YouTube. I hope I spelled Steve and Ryan correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_GPnSneEOA