Sunday, July 17, 2011

Circus Day

Saturday, July 16: Mayfield, NY-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

Miles: 53

Lot: Mobil Mart


This morning as I was approaching the lot I noticed a laundromat right next to it.

"This is going to be great!", I foolishly assumed.


As soon as I pulled onto the lot Tavo directed me to turn around and follow arrows to my parking space.

That's right, all the show equipment was parked at the lot. All of the trailers were parked a half mile away in a school parking lot.

Lame!


We didn't have power all day (thank God I have a generator), but we did get our water tanks filled twice like normal.


A few performers moved their trailers to the lot once the tent was set up, but Ryan and I opted to work out of my truck.

We took it over and parked by the cookhouse. We unloaded all the props and set up a Clown Alley complete with a fan, a cooler full of bottled water...all the niceties.


Ryan and I got into make up at our trailers, and then Nikki was nice enough to give us a ride to the lot close to show time.


We did good business for both shows. Brian LaPalme helped me and Ryan out by making sure we had plenty of watermelon to help keep us hydrated; he was also nice enough to let us use the cookhouse sink to prepare for the water gag.


Our clown friends, Brad Zupp and Beth Lawrence, came to the first show with their niece Anne.

They took us back to the trailers between shows so we could check up on our menagerie.


I am so happy they came to visit; they helped make a difficult day much more tolerable.



Needless to say, everyone was glad when the shows were over. The day seemed to drag on forever since I didn't have my trailer to unwind in between acts.


After work a few folks from the show wound up at Pour Jim's, a restaurant halfway between the trailers and the lot.

Mr. North was there and was kind enough to pick up our tabs.

No comments: