Sunday, August 21, 2011

Great Adventures

Saturday, August 20: Oscoda, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Miles: 55

Lot: airport grounds


The lot today was five miles away from everything cool in town, including a great used book store.

I refrained from unhooking and driving to it because I am trying to save money.


It stormed hard this morning, but everything had passed by show time. Both shows were 3/4 full.


Ryan and I couldn't keep a straight face, or a mouthful of water, in the first water gag, because beforehand we were backstage having a discussion about Disney characters having mental disorders.

The thought of our diagnosis for Smee made it very difficult to get through the act without cracking up.


In the second show we had a wardrobe malfunction in the horse walkaround. The blanket that goes around my shoulders had a section of loose trim on it, and today it caught on the horse head, making for a very awkward bit of tomfoolery.

Rather than get upset, I simply took the blanket back to my house and sewed the loose bit of trim; I should have done it a long time ago.


After the shows we had our first BBQ in a long time. It was very nice.


(An Addendum)


I received some sad news today. Lane Venardos, father of our Ringmaster friend, Kevin Venardos, has passed away.

Ryan and I had the pleasure of meeting Lane during our time working with Kevin on Ringling's Blue Unit.

Lane was a kind, funny man that was loved by everyone on the show. He produced an excellent series of DVDs called "Circus Train Adventures" that chronicled the Blue Show's travel by rail as well as interesting backstage happenings.

Here is one of my favorites:




Lane will be missed, and our thoughts and prayers go to the entire Venardos family.


1 comment:

No Thyme to Lose said...

Fascinating. Thanks so much for posting this.