Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day Off And A New Tent

Tuesday, September 6: Posen, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Miles: 16

Lot: Memorial Park

Up until a couple of days ago, I thought we were going to be playing Midlothian today, but we were actually in the next town over, only about 3 miles from the old lot.

I had heard that it was a bad neighborhood, but it didn't look scary at all.

Ryan found out that not many tickets had been pre sold, and when Tavana told him about a restaurant in town with a food challenge, he asked her to call them and set up a publicity.

The restaurant was Bartolini's (, which was featured on the Food Network in their program, "Outrageous Food".

The restaurant makes a 10 lbs. meatball sub that folks are challenged to eat in a limited amount of time.

Ryan and I got made up, and along with Armando, Dan, and Jeremiah (our cheerleaders), we hopped in the circus van and drove over to Bartolini's.

We met the owner, Dominic, who was a lot of fun and joked with us constantly.

While we waited for the sub to be cooked, we were intimidated by the Food Network footage of the 10 pounder, which was shown in a loop on a TV by the counter.

Finally, after my dread had reached its peak, the sandwich was brought out. 40 meatballs, 1.5 lbs. of sauce, 1.5 lbs. of cheese, and 1.5 lbs. of peppers adding up to one big challenge!

(And no, I don't know what "Soya" means. I'm just an idiot.)

We were told that we had 45 minutes to eat the whole thing, we had to eat equal parts to win, and if anything "came up", we could eat the regurgitation and still win.

Good to know...

If we won, fame and a t-shirt would be our reward. If we lost, shame and disappointment would hang over our heads for the rest of our lives (which is the norm for us).

We tucked in with a lot of enthusiasm, but as our sinuses and arteries began to fill with meat and sauce, we began to slow down.

Together we finished about a quarter of the sandwich. We are just not as gluttonous as we thought.

Even though we didn't succeed in the meatball sub challenge, we made friends with the staff at Bartolini's. What a cool group!

(On a side note, it should surprise no one that neither of us was hungry for the rest of the day.)

There was an average-ish crowd for the first show, but the second show was 3/4 full. They were a great audience too!

Ryan and I tried a new bit in the artist gag that worked great; we have a keeper!

Casey arrived tonight for a visit. We joined him at a bar downtown where they had karaoke. Score!

Wednesday, September 7: Posen, IL-Day Off

I had planned to sleep in this morning, but I was so excited about having the day off that I woke up early, and I was ahead of schedule by an hour.

I walked to a METRA station about a mile from the lot and rode it all the way into downtown Chicago.

I started out my exploration by walking to Millenium Park. My favorite spots in that area were Buckingham Fountain and Cloud Gate.

Next I walked the Magnificent Mile and shot over to Navy Pier where I had lunch at the Billy Goat Tavern. On the way I saw the world's largest exhibitionist.


When I was ready to head back to the train station, I took State Street, where in 2004 and 2006 I performed with Ringling Bros. in the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

I found out that I had awhile to wait before the next train to Posen, so I went to get an hour long massage that left me feeling great. My legs and lower back were killing me from the 20 or so miles I walked downtown.

When I returned to the LaSalle St. Station, the lady at the desk told me that the train that was just about to leave was the one that would take me to my destination.

I got on, and after about 15 minutes the intercom announced the first stop: Midlothian.

I thought to myself, "That can't be right, it took me an hour or so to get to Chicago from there; this must be a different stop with the same name as the town I'm heading to."

(As you can see, I'm not always smart. Thank God I'm good looking!)

As we were leaving the Midlothian stop, I whipped out my phone, pulled up my GPS program...and found out that the lot was a mile and a half from the station we were leaving.

At the next stop I asked one of the METRA employees if the train was going to the Robbins stop. He laughed and told me that we were heading in the opposite direction.


If I could see the lady at the train station again, I would punch her right in the ovaries!

Luckily the station where I got off was only 5 miles from the lot. I called Casey, and he came and picked me up at the CVS across the street.

As a bonus, I was able to pick up some much needed supplies at the shop.

Back at my trailer I took a quick shower, and then I joined Casey and Nikki for dinner at Bartolini's. Rest assured, I stayed away from anything with meatballs in it.

It was nice to meet the staff out of make up, and our sponsor for Posen and Dominic bought me a beer for doing stupid human tricks, such as juggling quarters and balancing a chair on my chin. That's right, subtlety is my middle name.

I was happy that even though I had a great, full day off, I still was in bed by 9:30 p.m.!

And now the part you've all been waiting for. We all know you tolerated my antics from the past two days just to get to this part.

In fact, most of you probably scrolled to the bottom to see these pictures before you even read the post.

IF you even read the post!

But don't worry, I'm not offended.....

ANYWHO! We had a day off on Wednesday because Kelly Miller's new tent arrived! Here are some pictures:


Susabelle said...

The tent is GORGEOUS! No, I didn't scroll to the bottom to find out first, and yes, I read you ENTIRE post. You had quite an adventurous day!

Harry Kingston said...

Now I give you the academy award for the best blog entry ever and the best photos to go with it.
A job well done Mr. Steve.
Harry in Texas

Anonymous said...

Dude, You are hilarious! I read your posts faithfully. Tent looks great.
Keith Karas

Tejano said...

Steve, here is a story you might be interested in. Enjoy!