Monday, October 17, 2011

Curse of Carthage

Sunday, October 16: Carthage, MO-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Miles: 67

Lot: Myers Park


On this morning's jump several of us were scared by a man walking on the Interstate.

I was driving along, in my usual stupor, when out of nowhere there was a man walking on the Interstate with his back to traffic. He had his thumb stuck out for a ride, and he was wearing dark clothing.

I came within inches of hitting him since he was walking on the border of my lane and the lane vehicles use to enter the highway.

When I stopped for gas I mentioned the man to Sara, and she said she almost hit him as well. A couple of local ladies also mentioned seeing him.


There was a Wal Mart close to today's lot, so I walked over and did my trick or treat shopping. Even though the kids aren't making their rounds until Wednesday, I wanted to be ready and avoid a scenario like last year.


"The circus kids did their trick or treating this afternoon. I had Sara buy a couple of bags of candy yesterday, but when I saw the mob of children and how much candy they were getting from everyone else, I knew that my one piece of candy a child rationing was not going to cut it.

I ended up hiding in my trailer and then just tossing all the candy on the ground where the kids could fend for themselves.

This did not please the children, so they attempted to flip over my trailer. I hid inside until the bloodthirsty mob had moved on to another trailer.

Ryan got a huge kick out of this spectacle and took to calling me The Grinch Who Stole Halloween."


Back at my trailer I made up gift bags for the kids; now everything is ready for them.


We did decent business for the first show and the second show had an average sized crowd. The audiences were dead.

Let me put it this way: My black duck, Emmie, bit me on the eye today while I was holding him. It was less painful than performing for the people of Carthage.

Ouch.


I actually think there is a curse behind the town's name. The audiences in Carthage, IL were noteworthy in their lack of response, and in the movie "Funny Bones", Oliver Platt says, "I was playing Carthage, Tennessee. Ever play there? They brought back the death penalty for comedians only."


I rest my case!


No comments: