Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sleepless Night

I woke up at 3 a.m., and I can't get back to sleep. I guess I might as well write a WQ blog update.

On November 5th Hugo held its 3rd Annual Circus Festival, in which artists from the three local circuses (Kelly Miller, Carson and Barnes, and Culpepper Merriweather) joined together to put on three performances for the people of Hugo.

Some of the acts included Karina Perez (Culpepper) on lyra, Alex Acero (Carson) with his comedy trampoline, Julio and Deya Rosales (KM) performing their knife throwing act which will be part of the 2012 production, Natalie Chandler (Culpepper) with her performing dogs, and several other acts such as hula hoops and rola bola.

Ryan and I did a soap gag (where shredded soap is mixed with water using a high powered drill, and then used to simulate different white liquids [paint, pies, glue, milk, etc]) where we were painters on hand to paint the building for the Circus City Museum.
We had a lot of fun making a big mess; less fun was the preparation of whipping up the soap and the clean up afterwards of the ring mat, the props, and ourselves.
BUT, it was only for three shows, and as far as big laughs go, no pain, no gain!


Here are me and Ryan with our 2006 Blue Unit Clown Alley mate, Alex Acero. Unfortunately I do not have any photos of our gag itself.

I have been enjoying having time off in Hugo. I have been watching a crazy amount of DVDs from Netflix, and I have been spending a lot of time at the library.
They have a great circus section, and I have been slowly but surely perusing old issues of White Tops for interesting clown articles and pictures to photocopy.

After a couple of weeks of resting and cleaning/organizing our homes and Ryan's storage unit, we began work on props for next season.
The Winter Quarters crew are in the shops working from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., but once they are gone, Ryan and I take over and work until late at night.
Our first day of work we went in around 11 a.m., and I finally left around 11 p.m. Ryan stayed for awhile longer because he is a freaking maniac when it comes to creating props!

A couple of days after the Circus Festival, our friend, Jeff Potts, came to visit Hugo for about a week to help us with our prop work.
Jeff helped us build the bee hive for the 201o exterminator gag, and we loved having him visit us in WQ. He was an invaluable help.

We got a lot of foam carving, latexing, painting, and wood work done with him here. We did occasionally take a break from working like dogs; one day I gave Jeff a tour of Hugo, and on November 10th we took time to celebrate Ryan's 27th birthday. I got him this awesome gift:

Soon I will post some pictures of the three of us working in the prop shop. For now here is a teaser photo of the frame work (masterfully welded by Oscar Perez) for one of our new props.
Can you guess what it is?


Well, we are taking Jeff to the airport in about an hour and a half, and it doesn't look like I am getting back to sleep. Whee!
Keep your eyes peeled for another blast from our Ringling past in the next few days. Until then....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when Alex was first doing his trampoline act and the improvements over just one season were very good. He is a very friendly guy and always had time to talk with me.
Bob Kitto

Anonymous said...

I like the McD fries container!!! I would love to help with your prop building. Alas...I am in Delaware. I think the frame will be a TV set.?? Sounds like fun and work but mostly creative excitement. Wish I was there.

Keith Crabbs

Elmo said...

You lucky stiffs, having a real prop shop! I built all the Beatty-Cole production stuff on a makeshift workbench and my pick-up tailgate out behind the business office in DeLand. The recycling machine I built backstage at the Swap Shop Circus in between numbers. You guys are just too soft...

Anonymous said...

Is it a treasure chest??