Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hurry Up And Wait

Thursday, March 22: Travel Day to.......

Wednesday night we heard that the lot in Frisco was underwater. A mower was brought on to cut the grass, and it sank.
For whatever reason, the city wouldn't let us play the parking lot next to the grass (like we did last year and in 2009), so a new lot had to be found.
Before we went to bed we were told that by 8:30 in the morning at the earliest, some kind of decision would be reached as to what we were going to do.

When I woke up Danny told me to go ahead towards Frisco. No alternate lot had been found yet, but the show hoped the problem would be resolved by the time we got there.

It was about a six hour drive to Frisco, but I made great time, even though I stopped for awhile at a Flying J en route.

Just as I was driving into the Dallas city limits, I got a voicemail from Danny telling me to find someplace outside of Dallas to stop.
A lot still not been found, and everyone was told to just hang out until further notice.

I found a Flying J on the outskirts of the city where I parked my rig and finally got something to eat.
I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited to hear what was going to happen. From what I gathered, the sponsor for Frisco was new, and wanted to cancel the date last night.
He didn't sound like he was very much help in finding an alternate lot.
We couldn't go to Royse City, the next town, because races would be going on all weekend at the lot where we would be parked.

Finally at 6:00 p.m. I got the final word, Frisco was canceled and the show was heading back to Hugo for the weekend.
Just as I began the three hour drive to Winter Quarters, Ryan called and suggested we stay at a trailer park somewhere in the area rather than drive all the way to Hugo and back.
Tatiana found one in Greenville, about 13 miles from the lot we are playing on Monday.

I headed there through Dallas rush hour traffic, just to add to my stress level, but I finally arrived and got settled for my little mini vacation.
The trailer park we found had a cheap rate, and it was only one Interstate exit away from all kinds of cool stuff.
Ryan, Sarah, the Fuscos, and I all set up camp there.

I was really bummed about Frisco being canceled. Besides missing out on visits from many friends and the many cool places Frisco has to offer, there is the obvious downer of the show losing out on a big three day stand.

Here's an article about the situation that my friend, Rick, sent to me:

Of course they left out the part where they simply wouldn't let us be on the parking lot next to the wet ground.

Unless you want to read about me relaxing for three days, I will resume blogging on Tuesday.
See you all then!

8 comments:

Tejano said...

Enjoy the vacation. Sleep late. Think of new gags. Try to find a decent fajita restaurant. Take the duck site seeing. :)

Arts in the Family said...

Sounds like a good time to catch up on some reading.

Alberto Ramirez Jr.

No Thyme to Lose said...

We made the trip out to Frisco Friday to catch the 4:30 pm show. When we got there, we drove all around the square looking for the circus. No tent, no trucks, no circus signs. How puzzling! We saw the Frisco Heritage Society and stopped in to ask. They said that morning it had been decided that the ground was too soggy, and the entire 3-day engagement was off. And yes, we noticed vast expanses of dry paved surface right there. We'll try to catch you in Krum. In the meantime, I'm consoling myself by eating up the freeroll I was bringing you.

Steve Copeland said...

I am so sorry!
I hope the free roll was delicious; I know it was the last time you came out.
Please let me know if you're coming tomorrow.
I was so upset about Frisco being canceled. I am sorry I didn't put anything on here sooner.

Anonymous said...

Steve, So sorry to hear about the loss of fun and funds due to the bailing at the last minute of this 3 day stand. BTW, when you come to Maryland, I will be in Indiana attending the Red Skelton Clown School. (Uhm...you get to pick what you feel is good news to you, that when you arrive in Maryland I will be several states away...or that I receivedd a full scholarship from Worls Clown Association to the RSCS:) Anyway, I will be sure to ensure that you surely get a super nice Eastern Shore fer' shure free roll courtesy of Free State Clown Alley #30 (no there are not 29 others!)...and the best tent in the Circus Fans Association of America...drumroll please, the, ehh, oh yeah...the Steve and Ryan/JRN II Tent! We love you guys! All the pain and moments of joy you experience traversing this great country of ours.. coming up to the top of Mason-Dixon Line will be well worth it. We got renowned circus historian Dick Flint, we got Pat Stevenson (our Boss Clown and Energizer Bunny), we got about 25 active members of our alley who are excited to see you again, we got Kevin Brown, we got Mike Rosman, we got Ken Horsman, we got Bernie Kallman, we got the original Bozo (Stephen Brenner([ead]) buried in Oaklawn Cemetary, section H in Eastwood, we got John Astin, the original Gomez from the Addams Family (still alive and teaching a theater course at Johns Hopkins), we got Larry Fine's daughter (living in Highlandtown, Hon), we got John Waters (alive, but barely) and his transvestite headliner Divine (dead, buried in Prospect Hill Cemetary, a mile from my house... visitors to his grave write their sentiments in lipstick on his headstone)...and I can show you where Jim Henson lived in College Park Estates, and recall how a girl I was dating had a brother who delivered newspapers to his mothers house, and how I went collecting with him and got to meet Jim at the door, he invited us in and let us play with a pinball machine in the living room. These joys my friend, would all be yours to see and experience, however, alas..I will be In Indiana.

Steve Copeland said...

D'oh!

No Thyme to Lose said...

We're coming to Krum today. First performance!

No Thyme to Lose said...

We're coming to Krum!