Sunday, April 1, 2012

Great Success! (Said Like Borat)

Saturday, March 31: Hugo, OK-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
Miles: 72
Lot: Agriplex

It rained almost the entire drive to Hugo, which did not bode well for our day. Fortunately by the time we got to town it was simply overcast and the sun was starting to peek through.

I saw Dudley, our WQ caretaker, his daughter Carol, and his son in law Rich in the parking lot, so I went over to say hello before getting a delicious breakfast at Angie's Circus City Diner.

The Diner is covered with circus memorabilia: posters, pictures, programs, concessions items, dolls, etc, and all of the tables have glass tops with circus pictures under them.
When we left to go on tour, a few tables were without glass tops. Ryan and I offered to buy one if they would let us turn it into a Steve & Ryan table.
Dudley kept after the Diner for us, and this morning he informed me that all the tables had glass tops now, and there were a few that still didn't have photos.

Ryan and I searched my computer for some optimal photographs, and then we ran to Wal Mart to get them printed out.
We made a quick stop at Ryan's storage unit to say hello to Jan (who was the cook our first year on the show), and to unload some of the stuff we have accumulated in the two months we've been on tour.
After that we headed back to the lot; Dudley took us to the Circus City Diner, and with Angie (the owner's) kind blessing, we created the Steve & Ryan table!


Huzzah!

After helping us create that shrine to stupidity, Dudley took us to Busy Bee to partake of their delicious burgers.

Dudley shuttled my sorry butt around town one more time so I could go pick up my old UHaul truck and move it to WQ.
It has been sitting on the outskirts of town at a propane place for a few months now; I have gotten a few calls about it, but no one wants to pay my asking price.
I really don't think a million dollars is THAT much to ask!

The sun came out during the morning, so it was a beautiful circus day. The audiences today were great, even though it was crazy hot under the big top.
I suppose enthusiasm was to be expected since Hugo is our hometown date.

Besides the heat, the only other obstacle to overcome were the huge, sharp stones in the ring. The whole rest of the lot was soft and grassy, but the ring seemed to be located in Hugo's own personal rock garden.

This was our first day of the tour with early show times, so it was great to be done by 7:30...ish.
A party was held at the building next to the lot for the third birthday of Armando's son, Argio.

Last year the festivities were Steve & Ryan themed. This year it was Angry Birds...still pretty similar.

I hadn't eaten anything since before noon, so I was starving. Luckily there was a bounty of good food on which to gorge myself.
I also got to talk with my friend, Nick Giannino, who helps take care of the elephants at Carson & Barnes' center.

All in all, our Hugo stand was a great success.


3 comments:

EleFanOhio said...

Why is Ryan keeping Jan in his storage locker? Aren't there laws against such things?

Steve Copeland said...

Thank you for the laugh. I suppose I should have clarified.
Jan is in charge of the facility where Ryan's storage unit is.

Keith "Bobalouie" Karas said...

I was thinking the same thing..like gosh, I guess Jan has fallen on hard times and has no place to live. baahhwhhaaaa!